Instant Sambar or Pottukadalai Sambar with stepwise photos and video. Instant Sambar without dal for Idli and dosa.
This instant sambar tastes absolutely delicious especially with pongal when served as a side dish.
There is no need to cook dal separately to make this pottukadalai sambar.
You need not even have to soak tamarind to make this sambar. How easy can making sambar become.
You can make this sambar with or without vegetables though adding them enhances the flavor of the sambar.
You can safely call this as an alternative to the tiffin sambar which takes less time and effort in comparison.
Along with an array of chutneys and this sambar, you are bound to have a feast.
Stepwise procedure of making Instant Sambar:
1. Add oil to the pan and roast chillies and coriander seeds.
2. Add the other ingredients and roast for a minute and let cool.
3. Transfer to a mixie jar.
4. Adding water, grind to a smooth paste.
5. Do the seasoning for the sambar.
6. Add and saute vegetables.
7. Add water and let the vegetables cook.
8. Add the ground paste and mix well.
9. Add water to your preferred sambar consistency.
10. Add salt to taste.
11. Boil the sambar well for the raw smell to off.
12. Finally garnish with coriander leaves and mix well.
Points to note while making sambar:
- This instant sambar should be a bit on the thinner side as it is made especially as a side dish to serve for idli and dosa.
- Only then both of them can soak in the sambar and tastes delicious when eating.
- As the consistency is thin, this will not taste that good to eat with rice.
- If you do not want to grind the tamarind, you can always soak them in water, extract pulp and add it first to cook the vegetables.
- If you opt for soaking the tamarind, then double up the quantity to extract pulp.
- Using sambar onions enhances the taste and gives a natural sweet taste to the sambar.
- You can add any or a combination of veggies like brinjals, drumsticks, carrot, beans, yellow pumpkin etc.,
- You can totally skip adding vegetables and stop with just adding sambar onions and tomatoes.
Instant Sambar Recipe video below:
Do subscribe to my YouTube Channel for more recipe videos.
Instant Sambar Recipe with Video below:
Instant Sambar Recipe - Pottukadalai Sambar
- Sambar onions or shallots - 7 to 8
- Tomato - 1
- Green chilli - 2 to 3
- Brinjals - 2 nos cut into chunks & immerse in water
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander leaves - 2 tbsp
- Water - 2 to 2-1/2 cups
- Salt - to taste
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli - 1
- Asafoetida - 1 pinch
- Oil - 3 tsp
To roast & grind to a paste:
- Red chillies - 4 to 5
- Coriander seeds - 1 tbsp
- Sambar onions or shallots - 4 to 5
- Tomato - 1/2
- Coconut - 1 tbsp
- Roasted gram dal - 3 tbsp
- Tamarind - small marble size
- Curry leaves - 4 to 5
- Oil - 2 tsp
Make the paste:
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add red chillies and coriander seeds and roast till they change color slightly.
- Add sambar onions, tomatoes, coconut, roasted gram dal, curry leaves and fry for a minute.
- Add tamarind, mix well and switch off stove. Let it cool.
- Transfer to a mixie jar and grind to a smooth and thick paste by adding 1/2 cup water and set aside.
Make instant sambar:
- Heat a pan with oil.
- When warm add mustard seeds and let it crackle.
- Add cumin seeds, red chilli, asafoetida and roast for 30 secs.
- Add sambar onions, curry leaves, green chillies, tomato and saute well.
- Drain brinjals, add it to the pan and once again saute well.
- Close with lid and cook for 30 secs over medium flame.
- Open lid, give it a mix and add 1/2 cup water.
- Close with lid again and cook for 2 to 3 mins over medium flame.
- The vegetables would be fully cooked now.
- Now add ground paste, add 1/2 cup water to the mixie jar, rinse it well and add it to the pan.
- Add 1 more cup of water (adjust to your preference) and mix well to make sure there are no lumps.
- Add turmeric powder, salt and mix well.
- Let the sambar boil over medium low flame for 4 to 5 mins or till the raw smell goes off.
- Add coriander leaves finally and give it a mix.
- Keep the pan closed for 5 more mins to lock in the aroma.
- Instant sambar is ready to be served with idli, dosa or pongal.