Maa vathal mor kuzhambu recipe with step by step pictures, is a yogurt based gravy using the pieces of whole dry raw mango pieces that is served with rice for lunch. It pertains to the South Arcot community that I learned from my MIL. When I saw her making this kulambu for the first time, I was stunned by the simplicity of the gravy. Though its made using yogurt thinned into buttermilk, its very different from the usual mor kulambu that we normally make as the ingredients that we use for this gravy completely varies.
This mor kuzhambu is also called as "Manga Mutta Bhajji" in Telugu, as the whole dry raw mango resembles of a giant egg. I used one half of the dry mango pulled away from the seed for this kulambu.
Though it takes prior planning to do this gravy as the vathal has to soak overnight in water to soften, the actual cooking process takes less than 10 mins.
So whenever you do not happen to have any vegetables in the fridge or you want to finish off the work in your kitchen quickly, this is one kuzhambu that you can make for lunch.
I loved the "Thuvarppu" taste of the ground maa vathal paste in the gravy and it tasted great with the Cheppakizhangu Fry (Arbi Roast).
If you loved this recipe, tap --> Rate or in the recipe card below to give us a 5 star rating!
If you have tried this recipe & have any more queries, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Maa Vathal Mor Kuzhambu Recipe
- Whole dry mango - ½
- Onion - 1
- Curd or Yogurt - ½ cup
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Mor milagai or Sun dried curd chilies - 4
- Turmeric powder - ¼ tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - 2 tsp
- Soak whole dry mango piece in enough water. Rest overnight.
- Grind the mango piece using the water soaked to a smooth paste in a mixie jar.
- Mix the ground paste in yogurt (curd), add ¼ cup water, mix well and keep it ready.
- Heat a pan with oil. Add mustard seeds and let it splutter.
- Break the mor milagai into small pieces. Add it to the pan and fry till it becomes golden brown and crunchy.
- Add finely chopped onion, curry leaves, asafoetida and cook till the onions turns pink.
- Add yogurt mixture, turmeric powder, salt and mix well.
- Let it come to a boil and switch off stove.
- Serve hot with rice.