15 mins paneer butter masala recipe with video (StoveTop and Instant Pot). This is such an easy and foolproof method to cook Paneer Butter Masala. It is perfect for beginners who are new to the kitchen. You just cannot go wrong with this versatile paneer recipe.
This recipe is like dump everything into the pressure cooker or Instant Pot (electric pressure cooker) and let it cook for the required time till the gravy is done. Find the instructions for both cooking methods in the recipe card below.
It doesn't matter whether you are a newbie who wishes to impress your parents and friends with your culinary skill or if you are a busy working person.
If you are a person who does not have time to sweat it out in the kitchen but still wants to eat finger-licking, homemade food for health reasons, this easy and quick 15 mins paneer butter masala recipe are for you.
This method works best when you have to make it in a larger batch say for a get-together or a party. It gets done in no time without any supervision or having to keep stirring the gravy.
You can easily double or triple the recipe depending on your requirement.
I came across this opos method in a foodie group that I frequent often but was still skeptical to give it a try. But finally gave in as you don't even have to stand near the stove except during the preparation time.
If you are looking for authentic tasting PBM, this is not for you. But this is perfect for working women, bachelors, grown kids who wish to learn cooking.
Paneer: Any paneer, be it homemade, malai paneer or frozen paneer cubes work well.
Paste: A fine paste comprising onion, tomato, whole cashews, ginger garlic paste, and whole spices is used which forms the masala in which the paneer is cooked into a creamy and rich gravy.
Milk or Water: You can use either to make the paste into a gravy. But using whole milk makes the gravy not only silky smooth but also rich at the same time.
Kasuri Methi: These are dried fenugreek leaves that add more aroma to the gravy.
Red chili powder: Adds the spice to the gravy. If you prefer a not-so-spicy gravy, half of this can be replaced with Kashmiri red chili powder which being not so spicy also adds good color to the gravy.
Salt & Sugar: Sugar is added to balance all the tastes and to mellow down the acidic nature of the tomatoes.
Butter or Oil: Basically only unsalted butter is used to make the gravy. If you are caloric conscious, then oil can be used in its place or even a combination of both can be used to get the best eating experience.
To make 15 mins Paneer Butter Masala in Instant Pot,
Start the Instant pot in saute mode and add butter. Let it melt and season with bay leaf.
Add the ground paste.
Add spice powders, sugar, and salt.
Add Paneer cubes.
Add milk, Kasuri methi, and mix well to combine.
Pressure cook for 4 mins.
Open the lid after pressure releases and mix well.
To make this on stovetop Pressure Cooker,
Follow the same process as mentioned above and after closing with lid, pressure cook for 2 whistles over medium flame.
Though the paneer butter masala gets cooked in just 4 mins, give it required resting time for the paneer to absorb all the flavors to get the best eating experience.
After opening the lid, if the gravy seems to be very thick, then dilute by adding a little milk and boiling before serving.
If the gravy is too thin, and you want it to be a little bit thick then boil for few minutes so that the gravy can thicken.
Keep the paneer block soaked in hot water for 15 to 20 mins before using it. This will ensure that the paneer cubes stay soft & prevent them from hardening after cooking.
Always use only hybrid tomatoes to prevent the gravy from turning sour and tangy.
What Paneer is the best?
Malai Paneer is the best to use in any paneer recipe. If you are using any other paneer or frozen paneer cubes, check out the top tip to keep it soft.
If you are fasting, then you can try this No Onion No Garlic Paneer Butter Masala to serve during Vrat.
You can also add frozen or fresh peas along with paneer.
Instead of paneer, you can also use tofu or mixed vegetables.
If refrigerating the leftovers, the fat tends to harden and form a coating on top. Make sure to thaw to room temperature and heat it either on the stovetop or microwave before serving.
If the gravy seems too thick, then add enough milk to loosen the gravy before reheating.
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel for more such recipe videos.
15 Mins Paneer Butter Masala Recipe
- 200 gms Paneer cubed
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 tsp Red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala powder
- 1/4 cup Milk or Water
- 1/2 tsp Kasuri Methi
- 1/4 tsp Sugar
- 2 tbsp Butter or Oil
- Salt to taste
For the paste
- 1 Onion
- 3 Tomatoes
- 1 Green chili
- 1 tbsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 2 Cardamom
- 2 Cloves
- 1/2 inch Cinnamon stick
- 8 to 10 Whole cashew nuts
- Take all the ingredients mentioned for the paste - Onion, tomatoes, green chili. ginger-garlic paste, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, and cashew nuts in a mixie jar.
- Grind to a smooth paste without adding water. If too thick, then add just 2 to 3 tbsp water.
Make in Stovetop Pressure Cooker
- To a pressure cooker, add butter or oil. Add bay leaf, Paneer cubes, ground paste, red chili powder, garam masala powder, sugar, Kasuri methi, milk, salt, and give a mix.
- Close with lid and pressure cook for 2 whistles over medium flame.
- After the pressure gets released on its own, open the lid and mix well. Transfer to the serving bowl and serve garnished with a dollop of cream on top and coriander leaves.
Make in Instant Pot
- Turn on the Instant Pot in "saute" mode. Add butter or oil, bay leaf, paneer cubes, ground paste, red chili powder, sugar, Kasuri methi, milk, salt, and give a mix.
- Cancel the "Saute" mode and switch to "Manual or Pressure Cook".
- Set the pressure level at HIGH, heat at NORMAl, and time for 4 mins.
- Close with lid with the 'Vent' is in 'Closed' position.
- Once the cooking is complete and finishes off with the beep sound, wait for natural pressure release (NPR). Open the lid and mix well to combine.
- Transfer to the serving bowl and serve garnished with a dollop of cream on top and coriander leaves.
WANT MORE RECIPES?
Browse plenty more quick & flavorful recipes easily by course, method, occasion & diet.