Mango Coconut Rice Recipe with step by step photos and video. A super simple and quick rice to pack for lunch to school or office.
I don’t generally make any New Year Resolutions but this year I made one especially where blogging is concerned. And it was to attempt my hand at taking videos. Finally it happened as I pushed myself to do it.
Though I took this video 2 months ago, it just stayed in the SD card as life happened. I must say that I’m totally in love with editing. It was super fun, till I got accustomed to it.
I had zero knowledge when it comes to video editing, so it was a definitely a major learning curve for me. I really hope it is not that bad as I fear and I’m sure you friends will let me know how it is.
My children do not like coconut rice, I think they are white color challenged when it comes to food.
My younger one loves mango rice but since he is undergoing some dental procedures, he finds eating or drinking anything sour triggers his teeth sensitivity. So I included coconut to the recipe and it not only reduced the sourness of mango rice but also gave the rice more volume and good texture.
He loved it when I packed it to school for his lunch. The sourness of the mango will also prevent the rice from spoiling quickly in this oppressing heat despite the fact that we have added coconut to make this rice whenever we pack it for lunch to office or school.
Mango Coconut Rice recipe with stepwise photos:
1. Take grated coconut, green chili, ginger, cumin seeds in a mixer grinder.
2. Grind to a coarse paste without adding water.
3. Heat a pan with oil. Add mustard seeds and let it splutter. Add urad dal, chana dal, broken dry red chilies, green chili, curry leaves and roast for few seconds.
4. Add coarsely ground coconut paste and sauté till the oil gets absorbed.
5. Add grated raw mango, turmeric powder, salt and sauté well.
6. Close the pan with lid and simmer for 1 minute.
7. Add cooked rice and mix well. Check salt at this stage and add accordingly.
8. Sprinkle coriander leaves over rice and mix. Serve this mango coconut rice with any dry side dish of your choice.
Mango Coconut Rice Recipe Video:
Do take a moment to subscribe to my YouTube channel for more easy and delicious recipes.
Mango Coconut Rice Recipe details below:
Mango Coconut Rice Recipe
- Cooked rice - 1+1/2 cups
- Raw Mango - 1 medium
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Coriander leaves - to garnish
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - 2 tbsp
For the coarse paste:
- Grated coconut - 1/4 cup
- Green chili - 1
- Ginger - 1 inch piece
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Chana Dal - 1 tsp
- Urad Dal - 1/2 tsp
- Whole dry red chilies - 2
- Green chilies - 2
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
- Peel the skin of the raw mango completely. Grate the raw mango using a big holed grater and set aside.
For the coarse paste:
- Take grated coconut, green chili, ginger, cumin seeds in a mixer grinder.
- Grind to a coarse paste without adding water.
How to make Mango Coconut Rice:
- Heat a pan. Add oil and when it gets warm, add mustard seeds and let it splutter.
- Add urad dal, chana dal, broken dry red chilies and roast for few seconds.
- Add broken green chili, curry leaves, coarsely ground paste and sauté till the oil gets absorbed.
- Add grated raw mango, turmeric powder, salt and sauté well.
- Close the pan with lid and simmer for 1 minute.
- Add cooked rice and mix well. Check salt at this stage and add accordingly.
- Sprinkle coriander leaves over rice and mix.
- Serve this mango coconut rice with any dry side dish of your choice.