Lemon Barley water is a refreshing coolant to drink especially during the hot summer days. It is considered as a nourishment providing tonic. It is important to keep ourselves well hydrated during summer as the sun and humidity tends to sap out our strength and make us weak.
Instead of drinking just plain water, you can replace that with this lemon barley water or replace plain water in your detox water if you happen to drink one all day long.
Barley is considered a natural diuretic and drinking barley water is advised when you happen to suffer from Urinary Tract Infection which is common occurrence during Summer. As I suffer from it since childhood which worsens especially during summer, this is my go to homemade remedy to tackle the inconvenience.
Barley also helps to regulate your blood sugar levels which tends to go on a see-saw during summer because of the humidity and high temperature.
Now-a-days, bottled lemon barley water is available in almost all departmental stores. But they tend to have chemical and added preservatives to increase their shelf life and also will be high in sugar which certainly defeats the purpose of drinking this healthy tonic water.
Our Favorite Video:
Pregnant women are also advised to drink this water to bring down the swelling in their feet which is a common symptom during pregnancy.
You can use any sweetener like sugar or honey while making this lemon barley water but I have added organic jaggery hence the change in color of lemon barley water.
As you know jaggery is a rich source of Iron and it helps the Vitamin C from the lemon to get absorbed by the body quickly. So I have used jaggery. If you are using regular jaggery, dissolve it in little water and filter it to remove the dust.
I normally make this lemon barley water during the evening, refrigerate it overnight and keep drinking it the next day.
Lemon Barley Water recipe details below:
Lemon Barley Water Recipe
- Pearl Barley - 1/2 cup
- Water - 5 cups or 1 litre
- Lemon - 2
- Jaggery - 1 cup powdered
- Salt - 2 pinch
For Garnish: (optional)
- Lemon slices
- Mint Leaves
- Wash the barley well till the water runs clear and it is free of starch. Placing barley in a sieve or colander while washing will make it easy.
- Place the rinsed barley in a saucepan and add 5 cups water and bring it to a boil.
- Once it starts boiling, simmer the flame completely and cook for 15 mins.
- Switch off flame and keep the pan closed for another 15 mins.
- Strain the mixture into a bowl and discard the barley.
- Add salt, powdered jaggery and stir for it dissolve completely.
- Add lemon juice and stir well. Let the water cool down completely.
- Lemon barley water is ready.
- Pour into bottles and drop in lemon slices and mint leaves.
- Keep it refrigerated and enjoy.