Matki Usal - Sprouted Moth Beans Curry. Matki Chi Usal with video and step wise photos.
Matki Chi Usal is a traditional Maharashtrian lentil preparation cooked into a dry curry (subzi) made using sprouted matki (moth beans).
It also happens to be vegan & gluten free.
Our Favorite Video:
Matki or Moth beans are a high source of protein and sprouting it further amps up its nutrient profile.
This is a spicy dry curry as traditionally goda masala powder which is a popular maharashtrian spice blend powder is used.
But if you don’t have goda masala on hand, you can always use garam masala powder & adjust the spice level too.
There are several ways in which one can make this matki usal and every house hold have their own versions too.
You can make it as a dry subzi or semi dry with little gravy depending on your preference.
If you do not have moth beans on hand, you can try the same with mung bean sprouts also.
I’m planning to make this mung beans sprouts pav bhaji using sprouted moth beans and see how it tastes.
You can easily make this on stove top itself but I’ve made in the pressure cooker as it not only locks the nutrients but also supervision free and gets done quickly.
Points to note:
- You can add 1 tsp grated jaggery while adding salt but it is totally optional.
- Instead of grated coconut, you can also use coarsely powdered peanuts or roasted gram dal.
- For authentic taste, instead of garam masala powder, use goda masala powder.
- You can also add cubed boiled potatoes or sweet potatoes along with matki while cooking.
Stepwise recipe to make sprouted moth beans curry:
1. Heat a pressure cooker, add oil and temper with mustard & cumin.
2. Add onion, tomato and cook till it softens.
3. Add the spice powders.
4. Cook till mixture becomes dry.
5. Add sprouted moth beans, coconut.
6. Add required water to cook the beans
7. Pressure cook & let the pressure release naturally.
8. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
Matki Usal Video:
Do subscribe to my YouTube Channel for more such recipes.
Matki Usal Recipe with video below:
Matki Usal - Matki Chi Usal
- Matki or moth beans - 1/2 cup
- Onion - 1 large (finely chopped)
- Tomato - 1 small (finely chopped)
- Asafoetida - 2 pinch
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Red chilli powder - 1 tsp
- Garam masala powder - 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Coconut - 1 tbsp grated
- Coriander leaves - to garnish
- Lemon wedge - to serve (optional)
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - 2 tsp
Prepare the moth beans:
- Soak moth beans in plenty of water for 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain the soaked water, rinse well & once again drain the water completely.
- Transfer to a hot pack, sprinkle few tbsp of water on top & close tight with the lid.
- Leave it for 1 full day and you can see that the moth beans have started to sprout.
- Set the sprouted moth beans aside till use.
To make matki usal:
- Heat a pressure pan over high flame.
- Add oil and once with oil and once it is warm, add mustard seeds and let it pop.
- Add cumin seeds and let it crackle.
- Add asafoetida, onion and saute till the onions turn pink.
- Add tomato & saute for 30 seconds till they soften.
- Simmer the flame completely.
- Add red chilli powder, garam masala powder and turmeric powder.
- Fry the masala powders along with the onions till the mixture becomes dry.
- Add sprouted moth beans, grated coconut, salt and mix well.
- Add 1/2 to 1 cup water depending on the consistency you prefer and mix well.
- Close with lid and cook for 1 whistle.
- After the pressure releases, open the lid.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and mix well.
- Serve Matki chi usal piping hot with lemon wedges.