Matki Usal - Sprouted Moth Beans Curry. Matki Chi Usal with video and step wise photos.
Matki Chi Usal is a traditional Maharashtrian lentil preparation cooked into a dry curry (subzi) made using sprouted matki (moth beans).
It also happens to be vegan & gluten free.
Matki or Moth beans are a high source of protein and sprouting it further amps up its nutrient profile.
There are several ways in which one can make this matki usal and every household have their own version.
You can make it as a dry subzi or semi-dry with little gravy depending on your preference.
Moth beans cook fast and this usal can be done in an open pan itself. But I prefer cooking either in a stovetop pressure cooker or an instant pot as it not only locks in the nutrients but also supervision free and gets done quickly.
Matki: Also called Moth Beans. I have sprouted the moth beans for 1 day and used that sprouted matki to cook this subzi.
Onion & Tomato: Both are finely chopped and form the base of the subzi.
Seasoning: Mustard, cumin, and asafoetida are used for seasoning.
Spice Powders: Red chili, Garam masala, and turmeric powders are used.
Coconut: Freshly grated coconut is used which can be added either prior to cooking or sprinkled on top after cooking just before serving. It gives a nice bite to the usal.
Lemon: The tang from the lemon elevates the taste profile. Squeeze in only before serving.
To make Matki Usal in Stovetop,
1. Heat a pressure cooker, add oil and temper with mustard & cumin.
2. Add onion, tomato and cook till it softens.
3. Add the spice powders.
4. Cook till the mixture becomes dry.
5. Add sprouted moth beans, coconut.
6. Add required water to cook the beans
7. Pressure cook & let the pressure release naturally.
8. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
To make Matki Chi Usal in Instant Pot,
Start the Instant pot in Saute mode and follow the steps mentioned above.
After closing with lid, cancel the saute function, pressure cook for 2 mins with the vent in sealed position.
Wait for 5 mins and do a quick pressure release.
Add coconut, coriander leaves and mix well.
Squeeze in lemon juice before serving.
You can add 1 tsp grated jaggery while adding salt but it is totally optional.
Instead of grated coconut, you can also use coarsely powdered peanuts or roasted gram dal.
For an authentic taste, instead of garam masala powder, use goda masala powder.
If you do not have moth beans on hand, you can try the same with mung bean sprouts also. You can try this mung beans sprouts pav bhaji using sprouted moth beans.
You can also add cubed boiled potatoes or sweet potatoes along with matki while cooking.
Do subscribe to my YouTube Channel for more such recipes.
see more Side Dish Recipes
Matki Usal - Matki Chi Usal
- 1/2 cup Matki or Moth beans
- 1 Onion large finely chopped
- 1 Tomato medium finely chopped
- 2 pinch Asafoetida
- 1 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Red chili powder
- 1 tsp Garam masala powder
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 to 2 tbsp Coconut freshly grated
- 2 tsp Oil
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves for garnish
- Lemon wedges to serve optional
Sprouting Moth Beans
- Soak moth beans in 3 to 4 cups water for 8 hours or overnight.
- Drain the soaked water, rinse well & once again drain the water completely.
- Transfer to a hot pack, sprinkle few tbsp of water on top & close tight with the lid.
- Leave it for 1 full day and you can see that the moth beans have started to sprout.
- Set the sprouted moth beans aside till use.
Stove Top Matki Usal
- Heat a pressure pan over high flame. Add oil and once it is warm, add mustard seeds and let it crackle.
- Add cumin seeds and let it crackle. Add asafoetida, onion and saute till the onions turn pink.
- Add tomato & saute for 30 seconds till they soften. Simmer the flame completely.
- Add red chilli powder, garam masala powder and turmeric powder. Fry the masala powders along with the onions till the mixture becomes dry.
- Add sprouted moth beans, grated coconut, salt and mix well.
- Add ½ to 1 cup water depending on the consistency you prefer and mix well.
- Close with lid and cook for 1 whistle. Let the pressure releases and open the lid.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and mix well.
- Serve Matki chi usal piping hot with lemon wedges.
Instant Pot Matki Usal
- Start the Instant Pot in 'Saute' function.
- Follow the above steps. After adding water and salt, Cancel the saute function and pressure cook for 2 mins with vent in 'Sealed' position.
- Wait for 5 mins and do a quick pressure release.
- Add coconut, coriander leaves and mix well. Squeeze in lemon juice before serving.
WANT MORE RECIPES?
Browse plenty more quick & flavorful recipes easily by course, method, occasion & diet.