Peanut sundal recipe with step by step pictures. Peanut or Verkadalai sundal is one of the sundal varieties made during the 9 days of the Navaratri festival in South India.
This also happens to be Hubby’s favorite. Peanut happens to be one of the staple crops grown in H’s home town. So they are available all around the year in every household.
Apart from this sundal, they make several recipes using verkadalai in their day to day cooking. Whenever my In-laws or anyone from the hometown visits us, we always get a big supply of peanuts that lasts us for several months only to be replenished during the next visit.
We all love munching on these chaat during the Sunday evenings and eating masala peanuts while watching movies happens to be our favorite pass time.
This sundal is quick to prepare and peanuts are rich in protein as well. So I try to include a lot of it in my kids diet and pack these for their snack boxes to eat during their break time.
Roasted salted peanuts will not work in this sundal recipe. But you do get unshelled raw peanuts in all the super markets which I use for making Peanut Butter whenever I run out of stock.
Using coconut oil for tempering and using fresh grated coconut is best and adds a lot of flavor for this sundal. You can also boil the peanuts in microwave and avoid the soaking time of 30 minutes if you are in a hurry.
Peanut sundal recipe with step by step photos:
1. Soak raw peanuts in warm water for 30 mins and pressure cook in enough water with salt for 2 to 3 whistles. Drain excess water completely and keep aside.
2. Heat a pan with oil and temper with mustard seeds, whole dry red chilies, curry leaf and asafetida.
3. Add boiled peanuts and toss well with the tempering.
4. Take the pan off fire. Add freshly grated coconut and toss well.
5. Peanut sundal is ready. Serve hot or warm.
Note: If you are using shelled peanuts there is no need to soak them. Pressure cook directly after removing the peanuts from the shells in enough water with a pinch of salt.
Peanut Sundal recipe details below:
Peanut Sundal Recipe
- Raw Peanuts or Verkadalai - 1 cup
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Asafetida – 2 pinch
- Whole dry red chilies – 3
- Fresh grated coconut – 5 tbsp
- Curry leaf – 1 sprig
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Heat 1-1/2 to 2 cups of water in a bowl to lukewarm temperature and add peanuts to it. Close with a lid and let it soak for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, transfer the peanuts along with the water to a pressure cooker and more water till the peanuts are completely covered.
- Add salt, mix well and pressure cook for 2-3 whistles.
- After the pressure is released, drain the water completely and keep aside.
- Heat a pan with oil. Add mustard seeds and let it splutter.
- Add broken whole dry red chilies, asafetida, curry leaf and give it a stir.
- Add boiled peanuts and toss well.
- Take the pan off fire and add grated coconut.
- Toss well so that the coconnut gets mixed well with the peanuts.
- Peanut sundal is ready.
- Serve hot or warm.