Soya chunks peas pulao recipe. A protein packed one pot meal made in pressure cooker using Soya protein and peas that is convenient to pack in lunch box for kids and adults alike.
Soya chunks are also called as meal maker and is considered a great source of protein for the vegetarians and is considered as a meat substitute.
Soya chunks are also a gluten free vegetarian source as compared to Seitan which happens to be a wheat protein. Seitan is also called as “wheat meat or mock meat”.
You get 2 types of soya chunks – one being the size of a gooseberry and the other one being small resembling the size of peas. I used the latter variety to make this pulao.
Basically any type goes well. You can always chop them into half or quarter if you find it large before adding it to the dish.
Back then, when it hit the markets it was a rage and you can find it in almost all the kids lunch boxes during lunch time in form or another. My mother was no exception to that as she used to include this as many dishes as she could.
Our Favorite Video:
This soya chunks peas pulao is quick to make and makes a good wholesome one pot meal. Unfortunately after marriage I altogether stopped using soya chunks as the husband was not very keen on it.
And it changed when the kids came along and I had to pack lunch for them to school. Though initially they did not like it that much, they slowly began to adapt and now they love it so much and I make this pulao often for their school lunch.
Apart from adding peas, you can also add other vegetables like carrots, beans, cauliflower that complements the soya chunks.
Soya Chunks Peas Pulao recipe details below:
Soya Chunks Peas Pulao
- Basmati Rice – 1 cup
- Soya chunks or Meal maker – 1/2 cup
- Peas – 1/4 cup
- Onion – 1
- Tomato – 1
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp
- Mint leaves – 2 handfuls
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Fennel seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon – 1 small stick
- Bay leaf - 1
- Cloves – 2
- Wash rice and soak it for 15 min.
- Chop Onion into juliennes.
- Chop tomatoes finely and keep aside.
- Bring 2 cups water with a pinch of salt to a rolling boil in a sauce pan.
- Add soya chunks, let it simmer for 5 mins. Switch off and keep the pan covered for another 5 mins.
- Drain it into a colander. Squeeze out the chunks of excess water and set aside.
- If you are using big chunks, you can cut into small bite sized pieces.
How to make Soya Chunks Peas Pulao:
- Heat a pressure cooker with oil. You can also replace half the oil with ghee (clarified butter).
- Add fennel seeds, cinnamon, cloves, bay leaf and roast for a second.
- Add the onions and sauté till pink.
- Add ginger garlic paste, mint leaves, tomatoes and cook till the tomatoes soften.
- Add soya chunks, peas, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and toss well.
- Drain water from rice and add the rice to the cooker and mix gently to combine well.
- Add 1-1/2 cups water, salt, garam masala powder and give it a stir to distribute evenly.
- Close the cooker with the lid and let it cook over medium flame for 2 whistles.
- Switch off and let the pressure release by itself.
- Soya chunks peas pulao is ready.
- Gently fluff the pulao with a fork to separate the grains.
- Serve hot with any raita or gravy of your choice.