Baby Corn Satay Recipe. A perfect party starter or it also goes as a yummy side dish when served with fried rice, noodles or pulaos. It also happens to be vegan and gluten free.
Though we are not a big fan of baby corn at home, this baby corn satay is much loved by the kids whenever I serve this with either noodles or fried rice and pulaos like vegetable pulao or peas pulao.
There are so many ways you can make this satay. I usually do not make a marinade, mix it with the baby corns and let it rest for some time. This method is a quick one without having to spend a long time in the kitchen.
You can however skip the tomato ketchup in the recipe and use yogurt for the base and apply all over the baby corn and let it rest for some time before continuing with the recipe.
Though I do love that version too, I mostly follow this recipe alone to make the satay and it is quick and gets done in minutes.
You can use either creamy or crunchy peanut butter while making the sauce. You can also top it with crushed roasted peanuts before serving which will taste absolutely good when had with noodles.
If the baby corns are thin, then you can use as such without cutting them into 2 but if they are going to be thick, then cut them into 2 and quarter them vertically depending on how thick they are.
Baby Corn Satay Recipe details below:
Baby Corn Satay
- Baby corn – 12
- Spring onions – 1
- Capsicum - 1/4 cup chopped
- Garlic - 4 cloves grated
- Red chili flakes or powder - 1/2 tsp
- Corn flour - 1 tsp
- Oil – 2 tsp
- For the Sauce:
- Tomato Ketchup – 3 tbsp
- Red Chilli Sauce – 1 tsp
- Peanut Butter - 1 tbsp
- Soy sauce - 1/4 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Peanut Oil – 1 tsp
- Mix corn flour in 2 tbsp water. Mix till smooth and keep aside.
- Shuck the baby corn. Cut it into two vertically and set aside.
- Separate the white and green parts of the spring onion. Chop fine and keep it separated.
For the Sauce:
- In a bowl mix together ketchup, red chili sauce, peanut butter, soy sauce, salt and oil. Whisk till smooth and keep aside.
To Blanch Baby Corn:
- Heat 2 cups water in a sauce pan and bring it to a rolling boil. Add the halved baby corn and 2 pinch salt.
- Switch off stove, cover the pan tightly with a lid and let it rest for 10 mins.
- Drain into a colander and immediately rinse with cold water and shock it to prevent cooking further. Set aside to drain completely.
How to make Baby Corn Satay:
- Heat a pan with oil. Add grated garlic and cook for 2 to 3 seconds.
- Add the white part of the spring onion and saute for few seconds.
- Add thinly sliced capsicum and saute for 1 min over medium flame.
- Add half the quantity of green part of the spring onion, blanched baby corns, red chili powder or flakes, sauce, salt and toss gently till the corns get coated completely with the sauce.
- Add the corn flour solution, turn up the heat and toss well till it coats everything well and the baby corns look glossy. This should take just a minute or 2.
- Switch off stove and garnish with the remaining spring onion greens.
- Serve this baby corn satay piping hot either as a starter or as a side dish with any fried rice or noodles.