Chilli Cheese Toast is a very popular breakfast or snack item among kids. Its more like an open sandwich with onions and bell peppers and we at home love to have it spicy and piping hot. When served along with a chilled fruit juice, it makes a perfect breakfast. This also happens to be my kids favorite evening snack. They have learned to make it by themselves and all I do is chop the vegetables for them. They grate the cheese, arrange the slices on the pan and operate the microwave themselves. These toasts that you see here is also done by them. All I did was chop the veggies and clicked them once it was done.
According to my friend J’s dad, these cheese toasts used to be a popular canapé item that was served in star hotels several years ago. When cut into bite sized pieces these will make great appetizer at any party.
- Instead of tomato ketchup, you can also use chopped tomatoes. But make sure you deseed them before chopping.
- Add colored bell peppers to add more color to the toast.
- I used garlic cheese spread, as the kids love the garlic flavor very much.
- If you do not have an oven or microwave, you can also do it on stove top. Just heat a pan and place the bread slices. Cook over low heat till the bottom becomes crisp and cheese starts to melt.
- I did not add any extra salt, as the ketchup and the cheese itself has salt in them and it tastes perfect.
This is off to The Groovy Gourmets, where we are serving Canapés this month.