Creamy mushroom pasta in garlic sauce recipe with step by step photos. Gets done in just 20 mins that makes for those busy week night dinner when you are too busy and tired to make anything elaborate.
You cannot go wrong with pasta and what more, you can feed an army with pasta. Little goes a long way.
Mushrooms and garlic are a match made in heaven Especially when both are sautéed in butter, they simply taste out of the world. Combine both with pasta, its simply BOMB.
Cook the pasta in one stove, prepare the mushrooms and garlic sauce simultaneously in another stove and its there on the table in 20 mins. Busy week night dinner couldn’t get any more easier than this.
Earlier my children used to hate any pasta cooked in a white color based sauce. Weird, I know. That is why I always used to cook these pasta recipes,
But this creamy mushroom pasta is one exception though. I have added only mushrooms here with the garlic flavor being predominant. But you can also add in colored bell peppers, sweet corn etc to make it more colorful and vibrant.
Creamy Mushroom Pasta Recipe with stepwise photos:
1. Cook pasta in plenty of water till al dente, drain into a colander. Keep under cold running water to prevent further cooking. Let the excess water drain. Drizzle some oil and coat well to prevent pasta from sticking together.
2. Heat butter in a skillet. Add minced garlic, cook till fragrant. Add sliced mushrooms and sauté till browned well. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
3. Add more butter to the pan. Once again add garlic and saute till fragrant. Add flour and stir till the raw smell is gone. Add mixed dry Italian herbs and red chili flakes. Stir well.
4. Add milk slowly while stirring. Season with salt and pepper. Cook over low flame till it thickens a bit to a sauce.
5. Add cooked pasta, buttery mushrooms, olive oil, reserved pasta cooked water and toss well till its creamy and cook till it gets heated.
Stir in parsley or coriander leaves just before you serve this creamy mushroom pasta piping hot. I served with some crusty garlic bread, vegan tomato soup for a wholesome meal.
I would suggest to use spaghetti, Macaroni or Orecchiette pasta varieties to make this recipe. Penne will not be that much suitable in this one. As such, this pasta will be creamy, but if you want to add cheese, by all means go ahead and add it before serving.
Creamy Mushroom Pasta Recipe details below:
Creamy Mushroom Pasta in Garlic Sauce Recipe
- Pasta - 100 gms Spaghetti or Elbow
- Mushrooms - 200 gms
- Butter - 2 tbsp divided
- Extra Virgin Olive oil - 2 tsp
- Garlic - 4 cloves divided
- All purpose flour or whole wheat flour - 1 tbsp
- Milk - 1 cup
- Mixed dry herbs or Italian Seasoning - 1 tsp
- Red chili flakes - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Pepper - to taste
- Parsley or coriander - 2 tbsp finely chopped
- Peel garlic cloves and mince them finely.
- Clean and slice mushrooms thin.
- I used spaghetti but Elbow aka Macaroni and Orecchiette aka bowl or shell pasta can be used.
How to cook Pasta:
- Bring a sauce pan with 5 to 6 cups water to a rolling boil. Add 1 tsp salt and stir.
- Add pasta, and gently stir in till the pasta gets fully immersed in water.
- Cook over high flame for 10 to 12 mins till al dente and drain into a colander.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of cooked pasta water to add in later.
- Keep colander under running cold water to stop further cooking. Let excess water drain.
- Grease your palms with oil and gently rub into the pasta with both hands to prevent from sticking together. Set aside.
How to make Creamy Mushroom Pasta:
- Heat a skillet with 1 tbsp butter. Add in 2 minced garlic and sauté till the aroma arises.
- Add in sliced mushrooms and sauté over low flame for 4 to 5 mins, till it softens and browns well. Do not close the pan while cooking.
- Transfer into a bowl and keep aside.
- Add the remaining 1 tbsp butter to the same pan. Add remaining 2 minced garlic and sauté till the aroma arises.
- Add flour and stir well. Cook for few seconds while stirring continuously for the raw smell to go away.
- Add red chili flakes, mixed dry herbs and stir.
- Slowly add in milk while stirring continuously. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook over low flame for the sauce to thicken a little bit. This should take less than 2 mins.
- Add cooked pasta, mushrooms, olive oil and toss well. Add required amount of reserved pasta water to adjust the creamy consistency. You can also add either milk or water instead of pasta water.
- Toss well and stir in parsley or coriander leaves.
- Serve this creamy mushroom pasta piping hot.