Gobi Fried Rice Recipe with step by step photos. A popular and quick to make Indian street food adapting the Indo-Chinese style of cooking, this Cauliflower Fried Rice tastes lip smacking and delicious when had for dinner on cold nights or to pack in lunch boxes.
This makes a great main entry for any get togethers or potlucks. The rice and cauliflower can be prepped and made ahead. When its time to serve, just toss up everything and cook till the rice gets heated and the dish is on your table in no time at all.
This recipe is from the same fast food joint from where I watched and made this awesome tasting Chilli Parotta. Ever since they introduced this Gobi Fried Rice in their menu, it has become a fast moving item among vegetarians especially as it makes a good replacement for chicken fried rice.
It is a delight to watch the Parotta and Fried Rice making masters in action when they chop the gobi and parotta and make their respective dishes simultaneously without missing a beat and with no confusion at all.
My younger one is a big fan of this gobi fried rice and has been pushing me to make this for some time. I finally made it for lunch yesterday, so that the boys could enjoy it piping hot.
While the process may look lengthy, you can finish it off within an hour actually if you plan your timing properly. Wash rice and while it is soaking, prepare the batter and rest the cauliflower, chop the veggies and collect the other ingredients needed to make gobi fried rice.
While the rice is cooking, deep fry the florets simultaneously in another stove. When the rice is cooling, chop the fried florets into bite sized pieces. Finally make the gobi fried rice with all the prepped up ingredients.
Step by step Gobi Fried Rice Recipe:
1. Make the batter and mix well with the cauli florets and rest for 15-20 mins.
2. Deep the battered florets in hot oil till they are crisp and crunchy. Drain into a bowl and set aside.
3. Heat a pan with oil. Sauté garlic till the aroma arises and add in carrots and cabbage and sauté till they soften yet remain crunchy.
4. Add in the sauces, red chili powder and mix well.
5. Add cooked basmati rice, black pepper powder, salt and toss well.
6. Add the bite sized deep fried cauli florets and toss well till the rice gets heated.
Serve this gobi fried rice piping hot with sauces or any manchurian of your choice. I served it with Mushroom Fry. Both will be apt.
Gobi Fried Rice recipe details below:
Gobi Fried Rice Recipe - Cauliflower Fried Rice
- Basmati rice - 1 cup
- Cauliflower - 1 medium
- Carrot juliennes - ¼ cup
- Cabbage - ¼ cup thinly sliced
- Garlic - 4 minced
- Red chili sauce - ½ tsp
- Tomato sauce - ½ tsp
- Soy sauce - ⅛ tsp
- Red chili powder - ½ tsp
- Black pepper powder - ½ tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- All purpose flour or maida - ¼ cup
- Corn flour or corn starch - ¼ cup
- Red chili powder - 1 tsp
- Black pepper powder - ½ tsp
- Red food color - 2 pinch
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
- Oil - to deep fry
- Salt - to taste
- Wash and soak basmati rice in water for 30 mins.
- Remove stalk and separate cauliflower into bite sized florets.
- After soaking, drain into a colander. Transfer the rice to a pressure cooker.
- Add 1-½ cups water, stir, close with lid and pressure cook for 2 whistles over medium.
- Let the pressure release by itself. Open the lid, fluff the rice using fork and keep aside to cool completely.
- In a bowl, add all purpose flour, corn flour, red chili powder, black pepper powder, ginger garlic paste, red food color ( I used ¼ tsp kashmiri red chili powder instead) and salt. Mix together with your finger tips. Add water little by little and make a thick batter. It should coat the back of a spoon.
- Drop the cauli florets and mix gently till the florets gets fully coated with the batter.
- Close the bowl and let it rest for 15 to 20 mins.
- Heat a fry pan with oil. When it gets hot, drop the batter dipped cauli florets into the oil and deep fry till they are crisp and crunchy.
- Do it in batches for even cooking. Each batch should take 6 to 8 mins depending on the pan size. Drain into a kitchen paper and let it cool completely.
- As they will be lumped together in clusters, separate them gently and cut into bite sized pieces using a sharp knife. Keep aside.
How to make Gobi Fried Rice:
- Heat a sauté pan with 2 tbsp oil. When hot, add garlic and cook for few seconds till the aroma arises.
- Cooking over high flame, add carrots and sauté for few seconds for them to soften. Add cabbage and sauté for few more seconds.
- Add red chili sauce, soy sauce, tomato sauce, red chili powder and mix well.
- Add fluffed up basmati rice, salt, black pepper powder and toss well.
- Add cut, deep fried cauli-florets and keep tossing while the rice gets heated up. This should 1 to 2 mins.
- Switch off and take the pan off fire.
- Serve this Gobi Fried Rice with sauce and Manchurian.