Custardy Apple Squares recipe with step by step photos. It makes a wonderful fall baking recipe and a delicious way to use up all those juicy apples you have. Looking for a cake to eat for breakfast or to take a sophisticated cake for a potluck that is quick and easy to put together, look no further as this is the one for you.
This recipe is adapted from ‘Dorie Greenspan’s’ book of “Baking Chez Moi”. I had baked this cake twice already last year when I chanced upon the recipe and I had to bake these again two months ago, to use up the apples resting in my fridge.
The delicate and flavorful filling that forms the base, turns into a thick custard while baking that binds the apple slices together to become an aromatic and delicious cake.
My family are not apple eaters. I always have to make use of them in a recipe to make them eat. This cake is simply a perfect way to use them up. I sometimes make my kids stuffed crepes for breakfast when they are on holiday and they have ample time to enjoy a wholesome breakfast. My elder one felt that this cake almost taste like those crepes.
These custardy apple squares are mind blowingly super simple to put together. This recipe also makes for a perfect baking activity for your kids to get them involved in the kitchen.
While my elder one whipped up a storm with the eggs and sugar, my younger one was happy slicing the apples in the mandoline. He loves to measure out the paper for the baking tin and line them up too after cutting it. He is so perfect with it unlike me.
Custardy Apple Square recipe with step by step photos:
1. Preheat the oven at 400 F / 200 C deg. Grease an 8 inch pan with butter and line the bottom with a parchment paper and keep it ready.
2. In a mixing bowl mix together flour and baking powder and keep aside.
3. Peel the apples using a peeler.
4. Using a mandoline, slice the apples turning them around once you reach the core. If you do not have a mandoline, then slice them thinly using a sharp knife. If they are not uniform in size, do not let that worry you.
5. In another large mixing bowl, add sugar, pinch of salt and break open the eggs one by one.
6. Whisk for 2 mins, till the sugar is completely dissolved and the eggs become pale.
7. Whisk in vanilla extract, followed by milk.
8. Add melted butter and whisk well. The butter should be melted and in liquid form.
9. Add the flour mixture.
10. Whisk till smooth without any lumps.
11. Add the sliced apples.
12. With the help of a spatula gently fold till the slices are coated well.
13. Scrape the batter into the pan and gently even out the top.
14. Bake for 40-50 mins or until the top is golden and the top is puffed well. A skewer inserted will come out clean.
15. Custardy Apple Squares and ready. Transfer to a rack to cool, dust the top with confectioner’s sugar (optional step). Slice into squares and serve.
Custardy Apple Squares Recipe Below:
Custardy Apple Squares Recipe
- All Purpose Flour - 1/2 cup
- Apples - 3 medium
- Baking powder - 1 tsp
- Sugar - 1/3 cup
- Eggs - 2
- Salt - 1 pinch
- Milk - 3/8 cup or 6 tbsp
- Vanilla extract - 2 tsp
- Unsalted melted butter - 2 tbsp
- Confectioner’s sugar - for dusting optional
- Heat the oven to 400 F/200 C. Butter an 8 inch pan and line the bottom with a parchment paper.
- Peel the apples. Slim the apples thinly using a mandoline, turning it around till you reach the core.
- If you do not have a mandoline, simply core the apple and slice them as thin as possible with a sharp knife. Do not worry if the slices are not uniform in size.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together flour and baking powder.
- In another large mixing bowl, add sugar, pinch of salt and break open the eggs one by one.
- Whisk for 2 mins, till the sugar is completely dissolved and the eggs turn pale.
- Whisk in vanilla extract, followed by milk and melted butter.
- Add the flour and whisk till smooth without any lumps.
- Add the sliced apples and with a spatula gently fold till the slices are coated well.
- Scrape the batter into the pan and gently even out the top.
- Bake for 40-50 mins or until the top is golden and the top is puffed well.
- A skewer inserted will come out clean.
- Custardy Apple Squares and ready.
- Transfer to a rack to cool, dust the top with confectioner’s sugar (optional step).
- Slice into squares and serve.