Dosakaya Pappu recipe with step by step pictures. An easy and comforting dal recipe from Andhra Pradesh using Dosakai (yellow cucumber) that goes well with both rice and flat breads like chapathis or rotis.
Dosakaya also known as Yellow cucumber is rich in water content that can be used to make a variety of recipes. It is easily available in all shops and is a prominent veggie used by Andharites to make not just this simple dal recipe but also pulusu and pachadi.
As it is somewhat bland in taste, it gets adapted well to the recipe and also it gets cooked in no time considering the high water content.
Earlier at home my mom would pressure cook dal separately and all the other veggies separately before mashing it together.
But I did not see the point in doing it separately, so I combined both the steps and do the entire cooking in the pressure cooker itself which in turn saves time, energy, fuel and prevents loss of nutrition as well.
An important useful Tip:
Before you start using Dosakaya, taste a piece of it prior to cutting. Some dosakai can be bitter. If they are bitter, after scooping the seeds, wash it well with water to get rid of the bitterness.
How to make Dosakaya Pappu Recipe with step by step pictures:
1. Place tur dal, all the chopped veggies, whole dry red chilies in a pressure cooker.
2. Add enough water, turmeric powder, salt and pressure cook over low flame for 3-4 whistles and take off stove. Wait for the pressure to get released and open the lid immediately.
3. Mash the entire contents of the pressure cooker well using a masher. If you do not have a masher, wait for the contents to cool down a bit and transfer to a blender and blitz 2-3 times.
4. Transfer the mashed dal to a serving bowl. Heat a pan with oil and prepare the tempering and pour it over the dal.
Dosakaya pappu is ready to be served hot with rice or flat breads.
You can also check out recipes like Mamidikaya Pappu, Menthi Koora Pappu, Gongurra Pappu, Pachcha Thakkali Paruppu and Vankaya Pappu that will make a wholesome, simple and comforting lunch when served with rice.
Dosakaya Pappu Recipe
- Dosakaya – 1
- Tur dal – 1/2 cup
- Onion – 1
- Tomato – 1
- Green chilies – 2
- Whole dry red chilies – 4
- Garlic – 3 pods
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Asafetida – 1 pinch
- Red chili powder – 1/4 tsp
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Wash dosakaya and scrape the outer skin. Once again wash well.
- Cut into two and scoop out the seeds using a spoon. Chop into chunks or cubes.
- Chop the onions and tomato finely. Break the green chilies into two.
- Place the toor dal, onions, tomato, green chili, garlic pods, whole dry red chilies, turmeric powder and salt in a pressure cooker.
- Add 1 to 1-1/2 cups water depending on the consistency of the dal and pressure cook over low flame for 3-4 whistles.
- When done, wait for the pressure to release by itself and open immediately. Mash the contents using a masher.
- You can mash them easily if you do it while the dal is still hot.
- Transfer the dal to a serving bowl.
- Heat a pan with oil. Add mustard seeds and let it pop.
- Add cumin seeds, torn curry leaves, asafetida. Switch off and take the pan off the stove.
- Immediately add red chili powder and swirl the pan for the chili powder to lose its raw flavor and get cooked without getting burnt.
- Pour the tempering over the dal and mix genly.
- Dosakaya Pappu is ready to serve.
- Serve over hot steaming rice and along with any spicy dry curry of your choice.