Easy Kadappa recipe with step by step photos. This easy, no grind “Villupuram Kadappa” is apt to serve as side dish with idli, dosa, poori and idiyappam (stringhoppers) using only the veggies such as onion and tomatoes.
Hailing from Kumabakonam where the “Kumbakonam Kadappa” recipe is famous, I often make it for side dish as the Husband prefers idli most of the days.
But I never knew that Kadappa recipe is also famous in the district of Villupuram and some refer to this version of recipe as “Villupuram Kadappa” to differentiate it as well.
After my Uncle got married, he lived in that district for few years before moving back to our hometown and my Aunt learned this from her neighbour.
Ever since my mom tasted it, this has become one of our regular side dish to be had with either idli, dosa or idiyappam especially during the night time if she came back home late from work.
As it takes just the basic veggies and needs absolutely no grinding, this is such a breeze to make if you use store bought coconut milk that now is available in powder form and in tetra packs. It literally takes less than 15 mins to have this on the dining table.
Easy Kadappa Recipe with stepwise photos:
1. Pressure cook moong dal in enough water till its soft. Mash & keep aside.
2. Extract fresh coconut milk. You can also use store bought coconut milk.
3. Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and let it pop, followed by cumin, fennel, cinnamon and saute for 30 seconds.
4. Add onion and saute till turns translucent. Add tomatoes, green chilies, ginger, garlic, curry leaves, a pinch of salt and sauté till the tomatoes get mushy
5. Add mashed moong dal, turmeric powder, 1/4 cup water, salt and cook for 3-4 mins over low flame. Switch off and take the pan off fire.
6. Add coconut milk, coriander leaves and mix well. Finally add lemon juice, if preferred.
Easy Kadappa is ready to be served with idli, dosa, poori and idiyappams.
Points to Note:
– I generally do not add lemon juice at all. If you are going to reheat any left over, the kadappa will curdle when lemon juice has been added.
– Even if you wish to add lemon juice, then instead of adding to the entire bowl, add only in individual servings.
– Always add coconut milk only after taking the kadappa off the stove, else it will curdle.
Easy Kadappa Recipe details below:
Easy Kadappa - Villupuram Kadappa Recipe
- Yellow Moong dal - 1/2 cup
- Onion - 1
- Tomato - 2
- Green chilies - 3
- Ginger - 1/2 inch piece
- Garlic pods - 5
- Coconut milk - 1/2 cup
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaf - 1 sprig
- Coriander leaves - 1 tbsp
- Salt - to taste
- Lemon - 1/2 optional
- Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Fennel seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Cinnamon - 1/2 inch stick
- Oil - 2 tbsp
- Finely chop onion, tomatoes, garlic and ginger. Slit green chilies.
- Wash moong dal. Pressure cook with enough water for 3 to 4 whistles or till its soft.
- Mash well and set aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds and let it pop.
- Add cumin, fennel, cinnamon and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add onion and saute till turns translucent.
- Add tomatoes, green chilies, ginger, garlic, curry leaves, a pinch of salt and saute till the tomatoes get mushy.
- Add mashed moong dal, turmeric powder, 1/4 cup water, salt and cook for 3-4 mins over low flame.
- Switch off and take the pan off fire.
- Add coconut milk, coriander leaves and mix well.
- Add 2 tsp lemon juice if you prefer a tangy taste.
- Easy Kadappa is ready.
- Serve hot with idli, dosa, poori or string hoppers.