Flax seeds podi recipe. You can serve this flax chutney powder as a side dish to idli, dosa mixed with sesame oil or you can also mix it with rice.
I have heard a lot about Flax seeds being rich in Omega 3 and how much it is good for vegetarians, and I can say that I’m the last one to catch the train.
Several years ago, when I visited my friend’s home, she was making some crackers using flax seed and the whole house reeked of fish smell. I think that must have been due to the omega 3 fatty acids.
For a vegetarian like me, the smell was literally gagging. That episode totally put me off from trying out flax seeds until few months ago, when I had rice mixed with a spice powder at my friend J’s house.
It was so good and delicious and I was really surprised when her mother said it was made with flax seeds. This is her recipe and the only change I made to it was to skip adding 4 to 5 garlic pods.
I started out by adding it to my smoothies to have after my yoga sessions and loved it and they taste even better when made into Flax Seed Butter to use on your toasts. Since my kids love idli molagai podi so much, it was quite easy to replace the regular idli podi with this flax seeds podi and they never knew it at all to complain.
You can find flax seeds in almost all gourmet or health food stores in the city and now-a-days you can also find them in big super markets. I bought this in “Brown Tree” outlet near my home.
To remember while making Flax seeds podi:
1. You can add roasted curry leaves.
2. You can also add desiccated coconut, if you have at home as the aroma will good.
3. Flax seeds will begin to give out oil, when you grind continuously in the mixer due to friction. This will make the podi to become a greasy lump in the end.
4. So after you add the roasted ingredients, pulse the mixer at regular intervals mixing in between.
5. Grind at full speed only after the ingredients have broken down and starts to look almost coarse.
6. The texture of this flax seeds podi should be coarse. Do not grind to a fine powder.
Flax seeds podi recipe details below:
Flax Seeds Podi Recipe – Flax Seed Chutney Powder Recipe
- Flax seeds – ½ cup
- Peanuts – ¼ cup
- Urad dal – ¼ cup
- Roasted Gram Dal or Pottukadalai - 1/4 cup
- Whole dry red chilies- 12 to 15
- Sesame seeds – 2 tbsp
- Tamarind - gooseberry size
- Rock or Crystal Salt - to taste
- Heat a pan and roast flax seeds over low flame. When they begin to pop, transfer them to a plate.
- Dry roast urad dal till it becomes golden brown over low flame. Transfer to a plate.
- Dry roast peanuts over low flame till you get the aroma. Transfer to the plate. You can remove the skin if you want. But I do not bother.
- Dry roast sesame seeds till they pop and transfer to the same plate to cool down.
- Dry roast whole dry red chilies for 1-2 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- In the same pan when it is still warm, add tamarind and roast for a minute.
- Take dry red chilies, tamarind, salt in a mixie jar and grind to a coarse powder.
- Add the rest of the dry roasted ingredients and grind to a coarse powder.
- Flax seeds podi is ready.
- Enjoy with idli, dosa or mixed with rice.