This powder by my Grandma is very popular among the family. A very simple accompaniment to go with idli or dosas that can be stored just like the regular idli milagai podi. Hubby was introduced to this when he was served this for breakfast when we both visited her house after our marriage. Ever since that he is totally addicted. Though I love the flavor of garlic, I do not like eating it in its raw or semi cooked form as I do not like the smell it leaves in your breath after eating.
She used to make this with Kopra / dry coconut. We used to get this kopra in “Sandhai” (Farmer’s market”) when we go there every Sunday. But now-a-days it is very difficult to get kopra, so I started to make this with regular coconut itself.
Though there is no difference in the making process of this powder, using kopra increases the shelf life by another week or 10 days. So when making this regular coconut, just make sure that you use a dry spoon for every use.
Poondu Milagai Podi
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 15 Minutes
Total Time: 20 Minutes
Shelf Life: 10-15 Days
- Grated Coconut – 1 cup
- Whole dry red chillies – 20
- Garlic – 15 cloves
- Oil – 1/2 tsp
- Rock / Crystal Salt – to taste
- Adjust the quantity of red chillies to suit your spice level.
- Do not use more than necessary oil for roasting as the coconut itself has oil in it.
- The consistency of the powder is your choice. You can grind it either coarse or fine but traditionally it is coarse.
- Do not run the mixer at full speed after adding garlic, else the powder will become mushy.
- While serving pour 1/2 tsp of oil to 1 tsp of this powder and mix well together.