And the aliases do not just end with there…. These cookies are also called as an Italian Butter Nut, a Southern Pecan Butterball, a Snowdrop and a Viennese Sugar Ball. Wow, that’s a lot of names for such a humble cookie. But no matter how it is known as, it was an absolute pleasure to bake and munch on these cookies. These cookies were so easy to put together with just the regular things that you can find in your pantry and does not require any expert skill at all. I’m sure my even my 10 year old kid would do an awesome job at baking these sugary, buttery, snowy balls if let loose.
All you need to keep in mind is to use fresh good quality butter as that will enhance the flavor and aroma of these wonderful cookies. Traditionally these are made during Christmas and these cookies have Pecans in them. But I had replaced them with my own selection of nuts.
Mexican Wedding Cookies / Russian Tea Cakes / Snowball Cookies
Prep Time: 5 mins
Bake Time: 15 mins
Makes: 20 Cookies
- All purpose flour – 2 cups
- Butter – 1 cup
- Powdered sugar – 1/4 cup
- Vanilla essence – 1 tsp
- Nuts – 3/4 cup ( I used Cashew nuts, Almonds & Walnuts)
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Powdered sugar / Icing Sugar – 1 cup
1. Whisk together flour and salt together and keep aside.
2. Toast the nuts over low flame till you get their aroma without changing their color and pulse coarsely in a mixer.
3. Beat together butter and powdered sugar till creamy. Beat in vanilla essence.
4. Add the flour mixture, coarsely powdered nuts and mix well to a dough.
5. Cover with a lid and refrigerate for 30 mins to 1 hour or until firm.
6. Preheat the oven to 180 Degrees Celcius.
7. Make small balls, the size of a big walnut and place them on a cookie sheet leaving 1 inch gap amidst them.
8. Bake for 12- 15 minutes or till the edges start to brown.
9. Take off from the oven and let it cool on the tray. When they are still warm enough roll the cookies in the powdered sugar / icing sugar for topping and shake off the excess.
10. Let it cool once again cool to room temperature.
11. Coat the cookies once more in powdered sugar just before serving or storing.
12. Store in an airtight container.
- Oven timings will vary accordingly.
- Make sure that the butter is at room temperature.
- You can use any nuts of your choice.
This is off to Show me your hits