This sandwich is not for the faint hearted and for all those who are working out to lose weight, so please just drool and pass on…. This is loaded with two main goodness that life bestowed upon us, Cheese and Butter and I’m sure that you will be celebrated by your kids when you present them with this loaded sandwich. I do make a very mean egg sandwich, mind you. As the younger one’s school adhere to strict vegetarian food in their school which means absolutely no eggs, he gets to eat egg sandwich either for breakfast or as the evening snack after play time at least three times a week.
So, when Avant Garde Cookies decided to make sandwiches for this month, I wanted to make something different that I have not attempted before. Thanks to the fully stocked refrigerator the previous day that I ended up making this one. Though I had no idea what I wanted to do, the moment my eyes fell upon the carton of mushrooms the sandwich started shaping up. I just went about adding and discarding what would go well with it and finally ended up making this awesome sandwich 3 days in a row.
Mushroom Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
- Sandwich bread – 6 slices
- Onion, medium – 2
- Button Mushrooms – 150 gms
- Garlic cheese spread – 3 tbsp (See Notes)
- Cheddar cheese, grated – 1 cup
- Mixed dried herbs – 1 tsp
- Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp
- Pepper – to taste
- Butter – 5 tbsp
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
1. Apply butter on all the bread slices on just one side and keep aside.
2. Heat a pan with 1 tsp of butter and oil. Add finely grated onion and sauté till it turns pink. Now add the sliced mushrooms and sauté for a minute.
3. The mushrooms will start to wilt and start to leave water. Now season with pepper and salt and cook till all the moisture is dried up.
4. Take off heat. Now add mixed dried herbs, garlic cheese spread, grated cheese, chopped coriander leaves and mix well.
5. Heat a pan and grease with butter. Place one slice of bread, with the buttered side facing the pan.
6. Place some mushroom mixture, apply evenly and close with another bread slice with the buttered side facing up.
7. Grill on high flame till the cheese gets melted completely. When done, flip and grill on the other side till brown. Remove and cut into triangles if preferred.
8. Serve hot with tomato ketchup.
While my younger prefers lightly toasted bread for his sandwich, the elder one prefers a well grilled one, even better for him if it gives a burnt smell. To get that, wait till the bread browns and the cheese melts and then simmer flame completely, add either butter or oil around the sides and grill till the bread browns well and becomes crunchy. Repeat the same for the other side too.
- I used cheddar cheese. Use any cheese you have at hand.
- You can use any flavored cheese spread or totally skip it.
- If you do not have cheese spread at hand, add finely chopped garlic before adding onion.
- Do not use sweet bread or milk bread for making this sandwich.
- You can also add capsicum along with mushrooms as they both go well together.
- The dried herbs imparts an amazing flavor, so do not skip it.
This is off to Avant Garde Cookies