Eggless Lemon Pillow Cake using sandwich maker with step by step photos. These citrus flavoured pillow cakes are made with 50% whole wheat flour and are a perfect treat for the kids. They can also make it by themselves if they know how to handle the sandwich maker. You can serve these pillow cakes for any kids party or for their school snack box. You can also serve these for any kitty party or high teas as they are small portioned.
These cakes come in handy if you do have an oven or vary of using your pressure cooker to bake a cake afraid of ruining the cooker itself. When I bought a 3 in 1 sandwich maker few years ago, my kids were more excited than me to use them. During all these years while I used the grill and waffle plates extensively, the regular sandwich plates were ignored, as my kids did not prefer stuffed or closed sandwich that much.
I found a perfect way to use those plates when I came across these idea of pillow cakes made in a sandwich maker at a kids birthday party in my apartment. The idea was really good and perfect excuse to make my kids make their own cakes. What we had was a plain vanilla cake in the party.
I had adapted my eggless vanilla cake and turned them into these eggless lemon pillow cakes as I happen to love citrus flavoured cakes. You can also use orange or a chocolate version of this cake by changing the flavouring to your taste. I have also used equal quantity of both all purpose and whole wheat flour and found no difference in texture or taste. They still turned out pillowy instead of dense.
Our Favorite Video:
A few days ago, I got a mail from the people of Snalthy requesting me to review their products. When I went through their website, I was fascinated by how they were making snacking healthy for the kids and adults. All the products are refined flour free, chemical free, baked instead of deep fried, making your snack healthy while keep them tasty and fresh. Here you can see Sesame Raisin Bars and Caramel Toffee Bar. I loved their Almond Cookies very much and chips were though a bit hard was packed with flavor. It is to be expected as they were baked. You can find more about their products in their website.
Eggless Lemon Pillow cake recipe with step by step photos:
1. In a mixing bowl, sieve together all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Transfer to a plate.
2. In the same bowl, add milk, vegetable oil, lemon juice, lemon zest and whisk well using a balloon whisk.
3. Add sugar and beat for the sugar to mix well. No need to completely dissolve it.
4. Add the dry ingredients and whisk till there are no lumps. The batter should be thick.
5. Grease the sandwich maker with oil and preheat it. Scoop about 1/8 cup batter and fill the moulds. Close the sandwich maker and let it cook for 4 to 5 mins.
6. Remove on to a plate or if you want you can also turn them over in their moulds and let it once again cook for 2 more mins.
7. Eggless lemon pillow cakes are ready to be served.
8. Dust with icing sugar before serving or drizzle some chocolate sauce.
Eggless Lemon Pillow Cake Recipe using Sandwich Maker:
Eggless Lemon Pillow Cake Using Sandwich Maker
- All purpose flour - 1/2 cup
- Whole wheat flour - 1/2 cup
- Baking powder - 1 tsp
- Baking soda - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1 small pinch
- Sugar - 1/2 cup
- Vegetable oil - 1/2 cup
- Milk - 1/3 cup approx.,
- Grated lemon zest - 1/8 tsp
- Lemon juice - 2 tsp
- Icing sugar - for dusting optional
- In a mixing bowl, sieve together all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Transfer to a plate.
- In the same bowl, add milk, vegetable oil, lemon juice, lemon zest and whisk well using a balloon whisk.
- Add sugar and beat for the sugar to mix well. No need to completely dissolve it.
- Add the dry ingredients and whisk till there are no lumps. The batter should be thick.
- If the batter is too thick, add 1/8 to 1/4 cup more milk and mix well.
- Grease the sandwich maker with oil and preheat it.
- Scoop about 1/8 cup batter and fill the moulds. Close the sandwich maker and let it cook for 4 to 5 mins.
- Gently open and turn over each pillow cake in their moulds and once again close the lid.
- Let the other side also cook for 2 mins. Remove onto a plate and let it cool down for 5 mins.
- Eggless Lemon Pillow Cakes are ready.
- Dust icing sugar on top, if preferred before serving or drizzle chocolate sauce all over.