Puli Aval (Tangy Parched Rice)
(Print this Recipe)
- Aval / Poha / Rice Flakes / Parched rice – 2 cups
- Green chili – 1
- Curry Leaves – 6-7 leaves
- Mustard – 1/2 tsp
- Asafetida / Hing – a pinch
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 tsp
- Tamarind – Half a lemon size
- Fried ground nuts – 2 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 3 tbsp
Soak the tamarind in lukewarm water for about half an hour. Extract the juice and keep aside. You can add water to increase the volume of tamarind juice such that you get enough to immerse the parched rice.
To the tamarind water, add salt, turmeric, red chilli powder, asafetida. Mix well. To this mixture, add the washed and cleaned parched rice, and let it marinate for about 10 minutes.
Heat a frying pan with oil. When hot, add mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds splutter, add the green chilies, curry leaves to this. A lovely aroma emanates from this and keep sautéing till you get the aroma ( the contents should not burn).
Finally add the parched rice (by now it would have soaked up all the tamarind water). Mix the ingredients gently. Garnish with fried ground nuts and serve hot.
- The water used for soaking the poha should be just enough to cover it. Adding more than necessary water will make them mushy while cooking.