Vegetable Lasagna Recipe with homemade lasagna sheets without a pasta machine from scratch with step wise pictures.
All these years, I thought pasta could be made at home only when you have a pasta maker at home but understanding about the basic concept behind pasta making,
I decided to make it at home without a pasta machine as I don’t happen to have one at home.
If someone had told me that I would be making pasta from scratch a month ago let alone enjoy making it, I would have laughed at them, because seriously I had never even given it a thought.
Why would someone wanna do it from scratch when it is available in shops? right.
But I decided to make it just for the experience and joy of making something from scratch and now my mind is abuzz with multiple possibilities.
It never occurred to me that they are so darn easy to make, after all making pasta takes just 3 ingredients.
I thought of making an eggless version of the same but I did not want to be too greedy with my attempts.
But I made the same one with less cheese for the adults at home. Needless to say the one with the more cheese won hands down and tasted more authentic according to my boys.
But for an Eggless pasta dough, just replace the eggs with 50 ml or 1/4 cup of vegetable/olive oil and little water to make the dough.
My subsequent attempts of making an eggless pasta turned out well following the above mentioned substitute.
I had a doubt whether I had to boil the lasagna sheets in water or not but decided not to boil them.
As anyway I was going to bake them in the oven after assembling them and according to my reasoning, if a Pizza is done, the lasagna which in my opinion is more like a thin crust layered pizza must be cooked by the end too and I was indeed right.
It may seem somewhat tedious and a lot of work when you read the recipe but with some time management you can have your lasagna inside the oven in just under an hour.
The dough takes just 5 mins of time as it comes together quickly and you can make the vegetable filling the day before which can save a lot of time.
You do not even have to take out your hand mixer. While the dough is resting, prep the vegetables and cheese.
While the vegetables are simmering, roll out the sheets and have it ready to be layered and baked.
As I ran out of mozzarella cheese when I came to the top layer, I used some processed cheese on top to finish it off.
This pasta made such a hearty dinner. It would have been too good if this tomato pasta soup was also present.
Vegetable Lasagna Recipe details below:
Vegetable Lasagna Recipe With Homemade Lasagna Sheets (Without Pasta Machine)
For the pasta:
- All Purpose flour – 1 cup
- Eggs – 2
- Salt – 1/8 tsp
- Oil – 2 to 3 tsp optional
For the vegetable layer:
- Onion – 1
- Capsicum or bell peppers - 1
- Mushrooms – 100 gms
- Broccoli florets – 1/2 cup
- Garlic – 4 pods
- Tomatoes - 6
- Basil leaves - 1/4 cup chopped
- Red chili flakes – 1/2 tsp
- Italian seasoning or Dried Mixed Herbs – 1 tsp
- Mozzarella cheese - 1 cup grated or sliced
- Black pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Olive oil – 2 tbsp
- Tomato Sauce or pasta sauce – 3 tbsp
Make the dough:
- In a mixing bowl, mix together flour and salt.
- In another small bowl, break the eggs and beat them well. Pour the beaten eggs and with the help of a fork, work it into the flour.
- Mix together to form soft dough. If you feel that the eggs are not enough to form the dough, add 2-3 tsp of oil to make them come together. Do not knead too hard.
- Close the bowl with a lid and rest for at least 1 hour.
Make lasagna sheets:
- After 1 hour, divide the dough into 4-5 ping pong sized balls.
- Use flour to dust a work surface and roll out the balls into thin sheets as much as you can manage. The thinner the better. The dough will not break or tear, so it will be easy to manage.
- If you want you can cut them using a pizza cutter or a sharp knife into strips of rectangle or square as you get in the shops.
- Arrange the rolled out sheets on a big plate one next to the other till you complete rolling out all the balls and keep the plate covered with a cloth or plate at all times to prevent the sheets from drying out.
Prep the vegetables:
- Chop the onion, garlic finely. Dice the bell peppers.
- Slice and chop the mushrooms finely. Chop the broccoli florets and keep aside.
- Cut the tomatoes into two and grate them.
Cook vegetable filling:
- Heat a pan with oil. Add garlic and once you get the flavor, add in onions and sauté till translucent.
- Now add in the mushrooms, bell peppers, broccoli and mix well. Cook for 2 minutes over low flame or till the vegetables wilt and soften.
- Now add the grated or processed tomatoes. Add salt, chili flakes, ground pepper and mix well.
- Let this cook over low flame for 20-30 minutes till they become almost dry. By now the raw smell of the tomatoes would have gone.
- Just before taking off fire, add in chopped basil leaves, Italian seasoning and mix well. Keep aside for the mixture to cool off.
Arrange the lasagna:
- Grease either a round or square baking tray with olive oil. I used a round oven proof glass tray.
- Drop the tomato / pasta sauce and spread all around the bottom of the tray.
- Place a thinly rolled out lasagna sheet. Now place 4-5 tbsp of the vegetable filling and with a spoon spread it all over the sheet covering it completely.
- Now place another sheet to cover the vegetable layer. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese generously all over, covering the sheet completely.
- Place another sheet on top of the grated cheese layer and spread the vegetable filling.
- Likewise proceed with the layers and end with the sheet over which cheese has been spread out.
Bake the vegetable lasagna:
- Preheat oven @ 180 C (350 F).
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, till the cheese has melted and the top has turned golden brown.
- Let it cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Vegetable Lasagna is ready. Slice and serve hot.