Carrot rice recipe – carrot rice makes a wholesome one pot meal that is apt to pack in lunch box for both kids and adults alike. This easy carrot pulao is mildly spiced and can be made in a jiffy during busy week day mornings.
Making this carrot rice is one of the best ways to use up any left over rice too. And if you are wondering about what to cook and pack in the kids lunch box this carrot rice will come to your rescue.
Pair this carrot rice with any spicy dry curry of your choice in the lunch box and I’m sure the kids will bring home an empty lunch box without any left overs.
Earlier I never used to add lemon juice to while making this carrot rice but years ago when I did add it, I found that I loved this carrot rice even better because of the zing the lemon juice gives.
Carrot rice is as such dull or at least that’s what my kids used to complain of, so I have used some whole spices to make this carrot rice more aromatic and appealing for the kids to enjoy it when packed for their lunch.
I have made the carrot mixture separately and mixed the rice by the end of the cooking but you can also make this into a pulao by cooking everything in a pressure cooker or rice cooker thereby saving time.
Carrot rice recipe details as follows:
Carrot Rice Recipe – How to make Carrot Pulao
- Carrot - 1 medium
- Cooked rice – 1 cup
- Onion – 1
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Fennel seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Cinnamon stick – 1 inch piece
- Bay leaf - 1
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Channa dal – 1 tsp
- Roasted Peanuts - 2 tbsp
- Green chilies – 2
- Whole dry red chilies – 4
- Ginger - 1/2 tsp grated
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Lemon juice – 2 tsp optional
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Chop the onions and green chilies finely.
- Grate the carrots and keep aside. You can also use a food processor.
- Heat a wide pan with oil.
- Add cinnamon and bay leaf and sauté for few seconds till the aroma arises.
- Add mustard seeds and fennel seeds and let the mustard splutter.
- Add urad dal, channa dal, whole dry red chillies, peanuts and fry for a few seconds till the dal changes in color.
- Add onion and sauté till it turns to a light pink.
- Add grated ginger, curry leaves, grated carrot, green chilies, turmeric powder, salt and cook over low flame for 3-4 minutes till the carrots get cooked well.
- Add the cooked rice and toss well while cooking over low flame till it gets mixed with the veggies.
- Take off fire. Sprinkle lemon juice all over the rice, if using and mix well.
- Carrot rice is ready.
- Serve hot with any side dish of your choice.