Mango lassi recipe – to beat the heat during summer. mango lassi smoothie is often made and served as a chilled drink that is creamy and thick during the summer time when fresh mangoes are available in abundance.
You can also make mango lassi using canned mangoes as well. It is a blend of mango pulp, yogurt, milk or cream.
You can use a lot of things for flavoring but mostly cardamom is the most preferred. Sometimes vanilla or other flavorings are also used.
Normally in Punjab and Northern States of India, Lassi is also served as a dessert and is part of a thali (meal platter). You can make a lassi with various fruits but mango lassi is the most loved as Mangoes are known as King of Fruits.
I use only Alphonso variety of mango for the rich color it imparts and its also more sweeter than other varieties of mango.
Because of the intense sweetness, the amount of sugar that you add is also reduced.
If you cannot get hold of Alphonso variety then use any variety of mango that is free of fibre. The mangoes need to be ripe and should not taste tart but very sweet and juicy.
Recently when Hubby got mangoes from a farm, some were over ripe and needed to be used immediately. So I scooped out the pulp and stored them in the freezer for later use.
If you have frozen mango pulp at hand, you can make this smoothie at any time you want after thawing it out for some time.
Some important tips before making Mango Lassi:
– The yogurt or curd that you use should also be fresh and not taste sour if you want to taste restaurant style mango lassi at home.
– Lassi is supposed to be thick and creamy, so the ingredients have to be chilled in advance.
– Adding ice cubes will make it watery and it won’t taste great.
Mango lassi recipe details below:
- Mango, cubed – 1 cup
- Yogurt or fresh curd – 1 cup
- Milk – 1/4 cup
- Sugar – 3 to 4 tbsp
- Cardamom – 1
- Pistachios – 2 tsp (for garnish)
- Chop the pistachios finely
- Remove the seeds from the cardamom.
- Add mango, cardamom seeds, sugar in a blender and blend till the mango becomes a thick paste.
- Add yogurt and milk and blend till smooth.
- Pour into tall glasses and garnish with chopped pistachios.
- Mango lassi is ready.
- Serve immediately.