Any dish made with it gets over without a murmur or protest from the kids.
I made this salad purely with Indian flavors that are already available in the pantry.
But it does have the usual ingredients like tomato, cucumber etc., that gets added to a salad.
The kids had been taking this healthy salad to school to gorge on during their snack time for the past 2 weeks.
As it is easy and quick to make, it eases the morning madness as well. This salad is also apt to have for lunch as it is very filling.
Though you can add readmade store bought roasted cumin powder, this salad tastes awesome when the cumin is roasted fresh, ground to a powder and then added immediately.
You can microwave the corn nibblets for 2-3 minutes if you do not wish to eat it raw.
Make sure you deseed the tomatoes, else the seeds will make the salad mushy.
The black salt will give a tangy taste to the salad. You can also add chat masala powder if you have in the pantry.
Chick peas Corn Salad recipe details below:
Chick Peas Corn Salad
For the salad:
- Chick peas - ½ cup cooked
- Sweet corn - ¼ cup
- Cucumber - ¼ cup chopped
- Tomato - ¼ cup chopped
For the dressing:
- Cumin seeds – ¼ tsp
- Extra virgin olive oil - 2 tsp
- Lemon Juice - 1 tsp
- Black salt - to taste
- Black pepper - to taste
Make the dressing:
- Heat cumin seeds in a small skillet and roast over low flame tossing it continuously for its flavor to release. Let it become brown.
- Take it off the stove and let it cool. Grind to a powder in a mixer jar and keep aside.
- in a small bowl, mix together extra virgin oil, lemon juice, black salt, pepper and roasted cumin powder and whisk well.
- Whisk well till it emulsifies well and keep aside.
Make the chick peas corn salad:
- In a mixing bowl, add cooked chick peas, corn nibblets, tomato and cucumber.
- Add the dressing to the bowl and toss well for the dressing to coat well.
- Serve immediately or you can also serve it chilled after resting it in the refrigerator for an hour.