Any dish made with it gets over without a murmur or protest from the kids.
I made this salad purely with Indian flavors that are already available in the pantry.
But it does have the usual ingredients like tomato, cucumber etc., that gets added to a salad.
The kids had been taking this healthy salad to school to gorge on during their snack time for the past 2 weeks.
As it is easy and quick to make, it eases the morning madness as well. This salad is also apt to have for lunch as it is very filling.
Our Favorite Video:
Though you can add readmade store bought roasted cumin powder, this salad tastes awesome when the cumin is roasted fresh, ground to a powder and then added immediately.
You can microwave the corn nibblets for 2-3 minutes if you do not wish to eat it raw.
Make sure you deseed the tomatoes, else the seeds will make the salad mushy.
The black salt will give a tangy taste to the salad. You can also add chat masala powder if you have in the pantry.
Chick peas Corn Salad recipe details below:
Chick Peas Corn Salad
For the salad:
- Chick peas - 1/2 cup cooked
- Sweet corn - 1/4 cup
- Cucumber - 1/4 cup chopped
- Tomato - 1/4 cup chopped
For the dressing:
- Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Extra virgin olive oil - 2 tsp
- Lemon Juice - 1 tsp
- Black salt - to taste
- Black pepper - to taste
Make the dressing:
- Heat cumin seeds in a small skillet and roast over low flame tossing it continuously for its flavor to release. Let it become brown.
- Take it off the stove and let it cool. Grind to a powder in a mixer jar and keep aside.
- in a small bowl, mix together extra virgin oil, lemon juice, black salt, pepper and roasted cumin powder and whisk well.
- Whisk well till it emulsifies well and keep aside.
Make the chick peas corn salad:
- In a mixing bowl, add cooked chick peas, corn nibblets, tomato and cucumber.
- Add the dressing to the bowl and toss well for the dressing to coat well.
- Serve immediately or you can also serve it chilled after resting it in the refrigerator for an hour.