Eggless Christmas Fruit Cake or Vegan Christmas Plum Cake with step by step photos. This eggless spiced fruit and nut Cake is a must for Christmas and will also make a perfect gift. This easy eggless fruit cake does not require any pre-soaking of dry fruits and has no butter, eggs and liquor. Its very simple to prepare and bake. This cake tastes best after 3 – 4 days of baking it. So you can bake it well in advance and keep it wrapped up loose in parchment paper or even tin foil.
This cake is adapted from the Christmas Fruit or plum cake and my eggless fruit cake but I managed to make it Vegan by adapting the method I followed for the Vegan Dates Cake and I’m so happy with the outcome of the cake.
In fact, I made this last year itself and followed the recipe to the T by adding oil. Though the taste was good, I was not happy with texture of it. It was not as dense as a fruit cake should have been, so this time replaced it with vegetable shortening and as you can see, I’m happy with the result of the cake.
As we are not soaking the dry fruits or adding any other fruit juices of sorts to add flavor and add a lot of spice powder, this cake needs to sit for at least 3-4 days before you can enjoy as the flavor needs to mingle well with the sugar in the cake.
I have added 3 types of spice powder and you can get cinnamon and all spice powder in any of the Gourmet food store near your home. I got it from near by “Brown Tree” store outlet. I always store nutmeg as such and avoid buying it in powder form.
First its very expensive when we buy in powder form than as a whole one and secondly nutmeg loses its flavor very quick when stored in powdered form. So I grate it using a small cheese grater whenever I require and its easy to store the whole nutmeg too. I have used a 9 inch bundt cake pan to make this cake, but you can also a round or sqaure tin.
If you cannot find all spice powder, then replace it by adding a tsp each of ginger powder and garam masala powder. Because of all the dry fruits and nuts we are using, the cake will be dense, So I suggest that you grease the pan well. Despite using a non stick pan, I still took the precaution of greasing it well with the pan release.
This post is especially for “Get a special ‘Christmas Frosting Kit’ as gift with purchase of the iconic KitchenAid 4.8 L Tilt Head Stand Mixer from 1st-31st December 2014, and make delectable memories this Christmas #KitchenAidTurnsSanta”.
And guess what this recipe was chosen as Runner-Up and won me a 7-Speed Hand Mixer.
Eggless Christmas Fruit Cake Recipe or Vegan Christmas Fruit Cake below:
Eggless Christmas Fruit Cake Recipe - Vegan Christmas Fruit Cake
- All purpose flour - 3 cups
- Baking powder - 2 tsp
- Sugar - 1 cup
- Brown sugar - 1 cup
- Vegetable shortening - 2 tbsp
- Water - 2 cups
- Cinnamon powder - 2 tsp
- All spice powder - 2 tsp
- Nutmeg powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 2 tsp
- Raisins - 150 gms
- Tutti frutti - 100 gms
- Cashew nuts - 100 gms chopped
- Take Cinnamon powder, nutmeg powder and all spice powder together in a bowl.
- In a saucepan, pour water and let it become hot.
- Add sugar, brown sugar, spice powders mix, salt, vegetable shortening, raisins and mix well.
- Let the mixture come to a boil once again and simmer the flame for 5 mins.
- Mix baking powder in 2 tbsp hot water. It will sizzle. Pour it over the mixture. Stir just once.
- Switch off flame and let the mixture cool down completely to room temperature without disturbance. It will take at least 1 hour.
- Meanwhile grease a 9 inch bundt pan well with the pan release. Preheat the oven at 160 Degrees C.
- In a bowl take the flour. Add tutti frutti and mix well to coat. This will prevent them from sinking to the bottom of the cake.
- Add this flour to the wet mixture and fold gently. Fold in chopped cashew nuts.
- Transfer the batter to the greased tin and bake for 60 mins or till a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- After the cake completely cools to room temperature, unmould and wrap it loosely in a parchment paper for 3 or 4 days to bring out the flavors.
- Slice and serve.