Eggless Orange Sponge Cake recipe with Video. This cake is butter free and as soft & spongy as a pillow. If you happen to have an excess of oranges in your pantry this cake is the perfect excuse to bake.
I love cakes that are packed with citrus flavors. I’m obsessed with using oranges in my bakes. And last but not the least, who doesn’t love dainty litle tea cakes as that is exactly what this cake is.
Whenever there are fresh oranges at home, next to the Vegan Orange Cake, this eggless orange sponge cake is what I make if the boys complain that they are bored of the other one.
I adapted this cake from my Eggless Vanilla Sponge Cake. I have made this numerous ways and this method is what I follow nowadays to expedite the preparation time.
I followed the same process that I do for baking my Eggless Gluten Free Banana Bread which makes it super easy.
But since the bush in the blender jar of my mixie has conked, I cannot use it till I get it serviced. So instead I used my smoothie jar to mix the wet ingredients.
If you are going to use your blender jar to mix in the ingredients, then add the orange zest at the very last, pulse 2 or 3 times for it to get incorporated well.
If you add it with the wet ingredients & blend, the orange zest will give the cake a bitter taste instead of an amazing aroma.
If you are going to make in the mixie jar itself, you can add everything to the jar & won’t even need a bowl to mix all the ingredients. It is that easy.
Orange Sponge Cake Video:
Do take a moment to subscribe to my YouTube Channel for more recipes.
Make sure that the yogurt or curd is fresh and not sour. The taste of the cake will be totally ruined otherwise.
The orange juice should be freshly squeezed and unsweetened.
I used 2 large oranges and got 1/2 cup juice.
Instead of vegetable oil, you can also use olive oil if you do not mind its aroma.
You can also use melted butter if you want the cake to be very rich.
Use either an 8 inch square or round cake tin for baking the cake. You can also use a bread tin.
If you are looking for other easy eggless baking recipes, check out
Eggless Orange Sponge Cake details below:
Eggless Orange Sponge Cake
- All purpose flour - 1+1/4 cups
- Corn flour - 4 tbsp
- Baking soda - 1/2 tsp
- Baking powder - 1 tsp
- Sugar - 3/4 cup
- Yogurt or curd- 1/2 cup
- Orange juice - 1/2 cup
- Vegetable oil - 1/3 cup
- Orange zest - 1 tbsp
- Preheat oven to 180 deg C.
- Grease an 8 inch round or square tin with oil and set aside. You can also use a bread mould instead.
Prepare the dry mixture:
- In a sieve add all purpose flour, corn flour, baking powder, baking soda and whisk well.
- Sift at least thrice so that the corn flour can get incorporated well with the other ingredients. Set aside.
Prepare the wet ingredients:
- In a blender jar, add yogurt, orange juice, vegetable oil and sugar.
- Blend well till the sugar dissolves fully.
Prepare the cake batter:
- Transfer the blended wet ingredients to a mixing bowl.
- Add orange zest and mix well with a whisk.
- Add the sifted dry ingredients to the bowl.
- Mix well using a balloon whisk.
- Make sure there are no lumps and no dry patches of flour is left.
Bake the cake:
- Transfer the cake batter into the greased cake tin.
- Bake for 40 mins or till a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Remove the tin from the oven and let it cool down for 10 to 15 mins.
- Invert onto a plate and cut into 1/2 inch to 1 inch thickness.
- Serve this Eggless orange sponge cake with tea or coffee.
WANT MORE RECIPES?
Browse plenty more quick & flavorful recipes easily by course, method, occasion & diet.