Lettuce Wraps Recipe. These healthy lettuce wraps are vegan, gluten free and nutrient dense loaded with fibre and protein. With homemade hoisin sauce it not only tastes delicious but its easy to pack and carry for lunch also.
The first time I tasted these lettuce wraps was at my My friend J’s home when her husband fixed us all a wrap at a get together in their home.
Having lugged 3 lodge pans all the way back from the U.S for all of us, I felt the least I could do was to pretend to like whatever he fixed us. But, dang… it was really delicious. I never thought I would love a wrap that was not made of chapathi that much.
Ever since then I had been wanting to do this. But what with the lettuce that I get around the shops near my home looking like death warmed over, I kept on postponing it.
But I have made the stuffing numerous times ever since. My boys love it with anything and everything. So, if you do not like the idea of using lettuce, by all means wrap the stuffing in a chapathi and pack it as chapathi rolls in kids or adults lunch boxes. Use a corn tortilla for a gluten free option.
Our Favorite Video:
If you do not want to use tofu, you can use paneer instead but what with adding mushrooms and all the sauces going in, tofu tastes much better in this stuffing than paneer.
Recently when she brought me some farm fresh lettuce all the way from Ooty, these lettuce wraps were very much in the cards. Also, I borrowed some Tamari from her to find out what difference it made when used in place of soy sauce.
But I could not tell any thing. May be my taste buds needs more honing. And also if you do not happen to have peanut butter and do not want to buy a bottle just to make this, don’t hesitate and do this instead.
Just add the same quantity of either salted or unsalted peanuts in the mixie jar and run till almost powdered. Add the other ingredients and make the sauce. It will turn out perfect. Experience n all you know…
The stuffing stores well for 4 to 5 days when refrigerated, just thaw it out and reheat before using it.
Lettuce Wraps Recipe details as follows:
Lettuce Wraps Recipe - Vegan & GF
- Tofu - 200 gms
- Mushrooms - 200 gms
- Garlic - 3 pods
- Ginger - 2 inch piece
- Green Onions - 2 tbsp
- Red chilli flakes - 1/2 tsp
- Sesame oil - 3 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Lettuce leaves - 6 to 8
- Green Onions - 1 tsp
- Sriracha Sauce
- Toasted white sesame seeds
For the Hoisin Sauce:
- Tamari or Soy sauce - 2 tbsp
- Peanut Butter - 1 tbsp
- Sriracha sauce - 1/2 tbsp
- Sesame oil - 2 tsp
- Cane Sugar or Honey - 1/2 tbsp
- Garlic powder - 1/4 tsp or Minced garlic - 1/2 tsp
- White Vinegar - 1 tsp
- Black pepper powder - 1/4 tsp
- Halve the tofu slab and chop one half into small cubes. Crumble the other half with your finger tips and set aside.
- Chop the mushrooms finely and set aside.
- Mince the garlic and grate the ginger and keep aside.
For the Hoisin Sauce:
- Add all the ingredients to a mixie jar or food processor and blend till smooth and set aside.
How to make Lettuce Wraps:
- Heat a pan with sesame oil. Add ginger and garlic and saute till fragrant.
- Add both crumbled and cubed tofu and spread them out evenly for them to brown lightly.
- Add mushroom, mix well and cook till it wilts and any moisture present in the tofu evaporates.
- Add red chilli flakes, salt, green onions, mix and cook over low flame for 1 to 2 mins.
- Add the sauce to the pan and stir well for the ingredients to get coated well.
- Cook over low flame for another 1 to 2 mins till the stuffing comes together.
- Arrange the lettuce leaves on a plate and spoon the stuffing mixture into each one.
- Top with toasted white sesame seeds, green onions, dash of Sriracha.
- Serve these lettuce wraps immediately.