Vegan Protein Bliss Balls Recipe. These balls are high in protein, rich in dietary fibre, omega 3 fatty acids and are also gluten free, refined sugar free which makes them perfect either as a pre or post workout snack.
Do you know that it is important to eat a high protein food within half an hour of finishing your work out, be it morning or evening? The protein not only helps to build more muscle but also quickens the healing of tiny muscle fissures that happens during working out and reduces soreness of the muscles.
But since I also happen to have low blood sugar level, I find it difficult to exercise in an empty stomach as I start feeling giddy. So I started making this vegan protein bliss balls adapted from the vegan protein powder and have one or two before I begin exercising. It helps me to stay more balanced.
While making these vegan protein bliss balls for my children, I skip the cane sugar and add in dry fruits like pitted dates, figs and raisins. They not only act as a natural sweetener but also are high in dietary fibre and add even more protein.
While making it for myself, I usually do not bother adding any sweetener. While you can still add dry fruits, you need keep in mind that they are also very high in sugar and calories. So if you are watching your weight and counting calories, you may want to skip the dry fruits.
I have added cardamom to add in flavor as I happen to love it, but you can also add cinnamon powder or little grated nutmeg to bring in the flavor. If you happen to have apple or pumpkin pie spice powder, they would work well too.
Vegan Protein Bliss Balls Recipe Details Below:
Vegan Protein Bliss Balls Recipe
- Rolled Oats or Quick Cooking Oats - 1/4 cup
- Roasted Peanuts - 1/4 cup
- White Sesame seeds - 2 tbsp
- Almonds - 10
- Flax seeds - 2 tbsp
- Chia seeds - 2 tbsp
- Hemp seeds - 2 tbsp
- Pumpkin seeds - 2 tbsp
- Roasted gram dal - 2 tbsp
- Cardamom - 2
- Cane Sugar or Powdered Jaggery - 2 to 3 tbsp (optional)
For Chocolate Version:
- Cocoa Powder - 2 to 3 tbsp
- Heat a pan and dry roast oats over low flame. When hot transfer to a plate to cool down.
- Dry roast white sesame seeds and flax seeds, separately one after the other, over low flame, taking care not to burn them.
- After dry roasting, transfer each one of them to a plate to let them cool down.
- Take a mixie jar or food processor. Add dry roasted oats and grind to a coarse powder. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Add roasted peanuts, flax seeds, sesame seeds, almonds, hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds, roasted gram dal, cardamom and process first at high speed till they break evenly.
- Keep running the processor at medium to high speed till they get powdered well and begin to release oil and start forming a lump.
- Now add the coarsely ground oats, chia seeds, cane sugar or jaggery (if using), cocoa powder (if making a chocolate version) and process at high speed for a minute for all the ingredients to distribute evenly and mix well.
- Transfer the powder to a plate and while it is still warm, make small bite sized balls by pressing the powder firmly into your palm with your fingers.
- Store these vegan protein bliss balls in an air tight container and use within a week.