Mushroom Peas Pulao Recipe makes a fantastic lunch box recipe both for kids and office goers alike. Pack this pulao for your kids lunch box, I assure you that the lunch box will come back empty and they will be asking you to make it often as well.
As both the mushrooms and peas have high protein content and when combined and cooked along with rice, they will make a hearty wholesome meal by itself which is light on the stomach and yet filling. Along with Mushrooms and Peas, you can also add other vegetables to make it even more healthy.
Also this Mushroom peas pulao will make a wonderful main dish for any party. If you happen to be hosting one and looking for an easy to make one pot meal, to have your guests enthralled, this is the one for you. Before you begin do check out how to clean mushrooms easily.
Few weeks back, a personnel from Dalmia Continental Pvt Ltd wrote to me asking if I would like to sample their newest introduction to the Indian market, Hudson Canola Oil. As I happen to use their Leonardo Olive oil and know its quality, I readily agreed and the sample bottle was immediately delivered to my home in superbly packed condition.
I have read about canola oil being used as the most consumed vegetable oil in many households across the U.S and Canada when I go through many recipes of their origin. Canola oil promises lowest saturated (bad) fat, higher MUFA to reduce heart diseases, High Omega-3 and Omega 6 content, Zero trans fats and with highest smoking point this oil allows multiple re-use as well.
Upon using it, I found that the oil is not only neutral in flavor but also did not give any distinctive smell or taste to the dish. I’m fully satisfied that this oil is indeed perfect for Indian cooking and you can use it safely to prepare all kinds of Indian dishes involving various methods of cooking like deep frying, grilling, roasting etc.,
I have ground the whole spices to a coarse powder as my kids complain of having to pick them out while eating at school. I have used pressure cooker to make this pulao but you can also cook it open pan or electric rice cooker.
Mushroom Peas Pulao Recipe details below:
Mushroom Peas Pulao Recipe
- Mushrooms – 200 gms or 1 carton
- Peas - 1/2 cup fresh or frozen
- Rice – 1-1/2 cups
- Onion - 1
- Ginger-Garlic paste - 1/2 tbsp
- Green Chillies – 2
- Cardamom – 2
- Cloves – 3
- Cinnamon – 1 inch stick
- Star Anise - 1
- Bay Leaf – 1
- Red Chili powder – 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Water – 3 cups
- Lemon juice – 1/2 tsp optional
- Mint leaves – 1 handful
- Salt – to taste
- Canola Oil – 4 tbsp
- Wash and soak the rice in water for 10-15 minutes.
- Chop the onions into juliennes and keep aside.
- Clean the mushrooms and quarter them. Slit the green chillies.
How to make Mushroom Peas Pulao:
- Take cardamom. cloves, cinnamon, star anise, red chili, turmeric, black pepper powder in a mixie jar and grind to a fine powder.
- Heat a Pressure cooker with oil. Add bay leaf, onions and saute for 1 min over low flame.
- Add ginger garlic paste, slit green chilies and saute for 1 more min.
- Add the ground spice powder mix and stir well. Cook for 2 mins.
- Add quartered mushrooms, fresh green peas, mint leaves and mix well for the powders to coat well.
- Drain water completely from rice and add it to the cooker.
- Add 3 cups water, salt and give it a stir.
- Close with the lid and cook over medium flame for 2 whistles and switch off stove.
- After the pressure releases completely, open the lid, sprinkle lemon juice (if using) and gently mix taking care not to break the rice. Garnish with coriander leaves if preferred.
- Serve this mushroom peas pulao hot with any raita.