Shakshuka Recipe – Indian Style Shakshuka that is loaded with protein will make a wholesome, well balanced meal when served with bread or flatbreads of your choice.
It is basically eggs poached in a spicy tomato sauce.
Shakshuka is basically a sumptuous breakfast of Middle East (Israel in particular) that is served with breads like Pita and Challah.
Here, I have made the Shakshuka adapting it to suit Indian tastebuds and making it very filling at the same time.
It has got veggies, lots of added protein other than eggs which the kids will love and eat without complaining.
This is also one way of sneaking in both the veggies along with the eggs in their diet at the same time.
Our Favorite Video:
You can also add a handful of spinach and the fussy children won’t even detect it.
Even if you do not cook eggs, just leave them out and make the base and serve with any flat bread of your choice.
If you are not keen on adding soy protein aka soya granules, just skip it out or replace it with tofu or more paneer.
As this is very filling, instead of serving this for breakfast, I serve this to my children after they come home from school.
This can hold them till dinner time while they attend their tuition classes and extra curricular activities.
My children do not like their eggs runny and I always have difficulty cooking eggs that are not hardboiled.
If the eggs involve breaking them open, then I always stick to making,
So by this way of making Shakshuka, both of us are happy in cooking and eating eggs.
To Save Time:
I usually keep the soya granules in a vessel at the bottom and the cut vegetables in a separator on top of it and pressure cooker cook both at the same.
Drain the water from the soya granules and place it in a food processor along with the boiled vegetables and pulse it a few times to mash them both at the same time.
You can also do the mashing manually with a masher.
Do not cook for a long time after adding in the eggs. There is no need for them to get completely cooked.
Just wait for it to set and that’s enough as they will continue to cook from the heat of the curry base.
Shakshuka Recipe – Indian Style Shakshuka details below:
Shakshuka Recipe - Indian Style Shakshuka
- Onion - 1
- Tomato - 3
- Mixed Vegetables - 1/2 cup
- Soya Granules - 1/4 cup
- Paneer - 1/4 cup crumbled
- Egg - 3
- Ginger garlic paste - 1 tsp
- Red chili powder - 1 tsp
- Coriander powder - 2 tsp
- Cumin powder - 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Pav Bhaji Masala powder or kitchen king masala powder - 1/2 tbsp
- Salt - to taste
- Oil - 3 tsp
- Coriander leaves and lemon wedges - to serve
- Puree the tomatoes and set aside.
- Bring 1 cup of water to a rolling boil. Add soya granules and let it cook for 3 to 4 mins. Switch off and keep the pan closed for 10 mins.
- Drain water, squeeze out excess water, mash lightly and keep aside.
- Pressure cook mixed vegetables for 2 whistles. Mash lightly and keep aside.
- I used carrots, peas, cabbage, capsicum, yellow pumpkin, cauliflower and beetroot.
- Heat a pan with oil. Add finely chopped onions and saute till translucent.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute for 1 min over low flame.
- Add tomato puree, mix well and cook covered over low flame for 3 to 4 mins.
- Add spice powders like red chili, coriander, cumin, turmeric and pav bhaji masala powders. Mix well and cook till the mixture thickens and oil begins to separate from the sides.
- Add the boiled and mashed mixed vegetables, soya granules, crumbled paneer, salt, 1/4 cup water and mix well.
- Cook covered over low flame for 3 to 4 mins till the flavors merge together.
- Make an indent on the surface and break open an egg directly into the indent. Repeat for 2 more eggs.
- Close the pan and cook over low flame till the egg yolks look set. The eggs whites may run all over the surface and will continue to cook which is totally fine.
- Take off fire. Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve this Indian style Shakshuka hot with bread, flat breads, naans, pav buns along with lemon wedges.