Spring Onion Curry Recipe with step by step photos. An amazingly flavorful and quick to make subzi that goes well with chapathis and puris.
I also spread it on fluffy dosas and enjoy them to heart’s content.
If you happen to buy a bunch of spring onions to garnish the noodles and have no idea what to do with the rest, here is a subzi for you all so that you do not have to really waste the rest after all.
We had a terrace garden at home and both myself and my mom used to grow all sorts of flowering plants but the main focus is on growing various types of spinach.
We had a patch for Arai keerai, manathakkali, Thoodhuvalai, ponnaganni keerai and I used to water the plants with “Kazhani” (water used to wash rice).
But I really loved growing onion bulbs as they grow up quickly and every time I harvested the stalks, my mom used to make this curry and pack it for school which I really loved to eat and that was all before my marriage.
But now since I live in an apartment there is no chance of even a terrace garden and I have to make do with small containers and pots to grow something if I want.
I had been growing methi (fenugreek) regularly and harvesting for the past few months and grew tired of it.
So I decided to plant some onion bulbs and when I pulled out the grown up stalks a few days ago, all I could think of is to make this curry and eat it with chapathis.
This curry will look elegant in the form of Spring Onion Rolls as well and I’m sure the kids will adore them when you make it for them. Mess free to pack these in their little lunch boxes too.
I have used kalonji which is also called as onion seeds for the tempering and if you do not happen to have them at hand, feel free to use mustard seeds instead.
You will need approximately 10 stalks along with the bulbs to make this curry.
Step by Step Method to make Spring Onion Curry Recipe:
1. Wash the spring onion bunch and separate the greens and white bulbs. I used my kitchen knife to chop the greens. Chop the white bulbs finely.
2. Heat a pan with oil. Add Kalonji (onion seeds) followed by the white onion and saute for 1/2 minute.
3. Add onions and saute till they turn translucent. Add ginger garlic paste, green chilies, tomatoes, salt and cook till the tomatoes turn mushy.
4. Add coriander powder, red chili powder, turmeric powder, 2-3 tbsp water and cook for 2 mins till the raw smell disappears.
5. Add the spring onion greens and cook for 2 mins till it wilts. Add 1/4 cup water and cook with the pan closed with a lid for 4-5 mins till the gravy thickens up.
6. Add garam masala powder, mix well. Take off fire and serve hot with chapathis or phulkas.
If you are looking for more such easy side dish recipes to serve with chapathis, check out:
Spring Onion Curry Recipe below:
Spring Onion Curry Recipe
- Spring Onions – 1 bunch
- Onion – 1
- Tomato – 2
- Green chilies – 2
- Kalonji or onion seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Red chili powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Wash the spring onion bunch and chop the white onion bulbs from the greens separately. Chop the white and green part finely and keep them separately.
- Chop the onion, tomatoes and green chilies finely and keep aside.
- Heat a pan with oil. Add kalonji and when it sizzles, add the finely chopped white part of the spring onion and sauté over high heat for 1/2 minute.
- Reduce the flame and add the chopped onions and sauté till the onion becomes translucent.
- Now add ginger garlic paste and sauté for a minute. Add chopped green chilies, tomato, salt and cook for 3-4 mins till the tomatoes become mushy.
- Add chili powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and mix well. Add 3-4 tbsp water and cook for 2 mins till the raw smell disappears.
- Now add the chopped green part of the spring onion and mix well and let it cook for 2-3 mins till it wilts.
- Add 1/4 cup water (approx.,), mix well, close the pan with a lid and cook for 4-5 mins till the raw smell disappears and the gravy thickens up a bit.
- Add garam masala powder, mix well for the flavors to merge well.
- Spring Onion curry recipe is ready.
- Take off fire and serve hot with chapathis.