Tomato Methi Pulao recipe. An easy and quick one pot meal that is made using pressure cooker. An aromatic, flavorful and healthy one pot is meal that is perfect to pack for lunch box to both kids and adults alike.
It’s been sometime since I posted any rice recipe. Methi (Fenugreek leaves) has always been my nemesis of sorts. I’m always wary of using fresh methi leaves either in rice or gravy for the fear of it making the dish turn bitter.
That’s what happened a few years ago and the kids just refused to eat anything with fresh methi in them. So, there was a time when I used to buy methi leaves only to dry it up in the oven to make “kasuri methi” or to add them in parathas.
Very recently when I saw this tomato methi pulao recipe in Tarlaji’s book, I decided to give it a try and the kids just could not tell it apart. The lunch box came back all clean and emptied and the 2 cats even demanded that I pack the same for the next day too.
I always find that giving my children some time to get adjusted, works much better instead of forcing or threatening them to eat something.
This one pot meal is so quick to make and pack for lunch boxes which also happens to meet out our daily need of iron and fibre.
You can also check out these quick rice recipes that are easy to pack in lunch boxes,
You can replace raw rice with basmati rice but remember to adjust and use water accordingly. Along with oil, you can add in 1 tsp ghee to make it more aromatic.
If you do not like biting into whole spices, then skip adding them and instead while adding spice powders, you can add 1 tsp garam masala powder (homemade or store bought).
Tomato Methi Pulao Recipe details below:
Tomato Methi Pulao
- Raw Rice – 1-1/2 cups
- Tomato – 3
- Onion - 1 big
- Fenugreek leaves or Methi – 2 cups
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Bay leaf – 1
- Cardamom – 2
- Cloves – 2
- Cinnamon – 1 inch stick
- Green chillies – 2
- Red chilli powder – 2 tsp
- Coriander powder – 3 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander leaves – 1/4 cup
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Clean, wash and chop methi (fenugreek leaves) and keep aside.
- Chop Onions into juliennes. Finely chop tomatoes. Cut green chillies into two and set aside.
- Wash and soak rice in water for 10 mins.
How to make Tomato Methi Pulao Recipe:
- Heat a pressure cooker with oil.
- Add cumin seeds, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon and bay leaf, roast for a minute till the aroma arises.
- Add green chillies and sauté for 30 seconds. Add onions, ginger garlic paste and cook over medium flame till the onions turn translucent.
- Add red chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and sauté for 30 seconds. The mixture will look dried up now.
- Add tomatoes, fenugreek leaves, coriander leaves, salt and mix well.
- Drain rice completely of water and add it to the cooker.
- Add 3 cups water, stir well to mix and close the cooker with the lid.
- Cook over medium flame for 2 whistles. Switch off and wait for the pressure to release on its own.
- Open and gently mix with a fork to separate the rice grains and fluff up.
- Serve this tomato methi pulao with raita or any dry vegetable curry of your choice.