Methi Roti Recipe. A simple methi chapathi or roti recipe made with powdered kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves) along with other spices mixed with regular whole wheat dough (aata).
This is not a paratha in which the dough ball is stuffed with a filling and then rolled out.
This is also not methi thepla that uses fresh methi leaves along with chana dal flour.
It’s not all the time we happen to have fresh methi leaves at home.
So at those times you can make use of kasuri methi and make these spicy methi roti for dinner or you can also pack these for lunch box along with any curry of your choice.
As you add other spices too along with kasuri methi, these rotis are fragrant and make a change from the regular chapathis/rotis that we usually make.
Our Favorite Video:
Try to add lots of methi in any form that you deem feasible in your regular diet.
They are rich in fibre and the leaves either fresh or dried are a good source of Iron for your body.
Step by step recipe for methi roti:
1. Take kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves), turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala powder.
2. Grind to a coarse or fine powder according to your preference.
3. Take whole wheat flour in a mixing bowl. Add salt, ground powder and mix well. Add water little by little and knead to soft dough. Close the bowl and let the dough rest for 20-30 mins.
4. Divide the dough into ping pong balls and roll each one into 7-8 inch diameter like you would roll regular roti.
5. Place the rolled out roti on a hot griddle and drizzle a few drops of oil around. Cook till you see brown spots and flip to the other side and cook for 1 more minute.
6. Continue with the rest of the balls. Methi Roti is ready to serve.
Serve with any semi gravy or dry curry of your choice or with plain curds or just pickles.
Methi Roti Recipe details below:
Methi Roti Recipe
- Whole wheat flour - 2 cups
- Kauri methi - 4 tbsp
- Red chili powder - 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder. - 1/8 tsp
- Garam masala powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Water. - to knead
- Oil - 3 tsp
- In a mixing jar take Kasuri methi, turmeric powder, red chili powder, garam masala powder and grind to a coarse powder.
- In a bowl take whole wheat flour and salt.
- Add the ground powder and mix with finger tips.
- Add water little by little and knead to a soft dough.
- Smear 1/2 tsp oil all over the dough surface and keep the bowl covered to rest for 20-30 mins.
- Divide the dough equally into 12 ping pong sized balls.
- Roll the balls with a rolling pin on a floured surface into a thin 7-8 diameter.
- Heat a girdle or tawa and place the rolled out roti and cook over medium flame for 1-2 mins or till you see brown spots occurring on top.
- Flip to the other side and drizzle oil around and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove on to a plate.
- Continue with the rest of the balls stacking one on top of another.
- Methi roti is ready.
- Serve with any dry curry or raita or pickles.