Veg fried rice recipe with video. Indo Chinese Vegetable Fried Rice is one of the most versatile and tastiest rice that can be made for a quick meal.
It is also one of the most popular street food across India.
Fried rice is most commonly served and enjoyed with Gobi Manchurian as side dish.
This quick fried rice can be cooked in many ways and lots of varieties are made and served in almost all of the fast food joints.
Other than fried rice, the next hot favorite would be this Chinese Veg Noodles.
Why is fried rice most popular?
- takes minimal effort in making
- newbie friendly
- hard to mess up
- satiating & keeps you full
- you don't even need a recipe to make this
What vegetables can I use?
You can add any vegetable that basically gets cooked just by sautéing on a hot pan for few seconds.
Avoid using vegetable that are high on water content as it will make the rice go mushy.
You can use purple cabbage along with regular cabbage. coloured bell peppers along with capsicum to make the rice look more colourful.
You can also add button mushrooms, oyster mushrooms, peas, mung bean sprouts etc while making fried rice.
Just make sure that you cook the veggies on high heat not overcooking them while maintaining the crunch.
What rice can I use?
Basically you can use regular rice that you eat like boiled or raw rice to make fried rice.
But since the recipe itself does not have any aroma inducing elements in it, I prefer using basmati rice for the fragrance it imparts.
No matter whichever rice one may use, if the rice is a day old then fried rice tastes better.
So making fried rice is one of the best way to put left over rice, if you have on hand to best use.
How important is adding Sichuan Pepper?
All recipes evolve when they cross geographical borders as people try to adapt & embrace it based on their needs, availability and affordability of the ingredients.
Having said that, while adding Sichuan pepper will significantly lend the original taste to the fried rice, it can easily be replaced with regular black pepper that is available in our own pantry.
Points to note while making Fried Rice:
- If possible always use pre cooked rice that has been refrigerated and thawed to room temperature that is at least 1 day old. The result is the best tasting fried rice.
- The condiments you use can all be adjusted according to your taste.
- Instead of black pepper you can also add white pepper powder but it will be a bit less spicy.
- Adding Aji-no-moto or the chinese salt is optional and a personal preference.
- Make sure that you have all the ingredients near you before you begin making fried rice.
- The flame has to be on high & the entire cooking is done over high flame to prevent the fried rice from becoming mushy.
- As soy sauce contains gluten, you can use Tamari for a gluten free option.
Veg Fried Rice Video below:
Do subscribe to my Youtube Channel for more such recipe videos.
Veg Fried Rice recipe details below:
Veg Fried Rice
For cooking rice:
- Basmati Rice - 1 cup
- Oil - 1 tsp
- Salt - to taste optional
For fried rice:
- Spring onion whites - ¼ cup finely chopped
- Carrot - 2 tbsp finely diced
- French beans - 2 tbsp finely chopped
- Capsicum - 2 tbsp finely diced
- Cabbage - 2 tbsp shredded
- Garlic - 1 tsp minced
- Spring onion greens - 3 tbsp finely chopped
- Dark soy sauce - 2 tsp
- White vinegar - 1 tsp
- Black pepper powder - 1 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Sesame oil - 2 tbsp
For cooking rice:
- Wash basmati rice and soak in water for 30 mins.
- Drain the water completely and transfer to a container that could fit into your pressure cooker.
- Add 1-½ cups water, salt to taste (if using), close with lid.
- Pressure cook for 1 whistle on medium flame. Let the pressure release by itself.
- Open immediately and let it cool for 5 to 10 mins.
- Add a tsp oil & mix gently with a fork or chopstick to coat the rice with oil.
- This will prevent the rice from sticking to each other.
- Set aside to cool completely or till use.
For making fried rice:
- Heat a wok or wide kadai on high flame.
- Add sesame oil, when hot add minced garlic and stir fry till the fragrance releases.
- Add spring onion whites and saute for 20 to 30 secs.
- Add 2 tbsp spring onions greens and saute for few more secs till they wilt.
- Add beans, carrot and saute for 30 to 40 secs till they soften.
- Add cabbage, capsicum and stir fry over high flame for another 30 secs taking care not to over cook the vegetables.
- The veggies must remain crisp and not feel soft.
- Now add vinegar, soy sauce, black pepper, salt, cooked rice and mix well.
- Check salt and when everything is mixed well, switch off stove.
- Garnish with remaining 1 tbsp spring onions greens & mix again.
- Veg Fried Rice is ready to be served hot with Gobi Manchurian.