Butter scones recipe. The most easiest, quickest and best eggless butter scones ever with just 5 ingredients that gets done in just 15 mins. Scones in general are served for breakfast along with clotted cream and jam. You can also serve them for brunch and snack.
Scones are single serving cakes or quick bread that does not have yeast in them and they just happen to be an English version of our own Indian biscuits.
In general Scones are very lightly sweetened and on special occasions like high tea parties they are also lightly glazed on top.
This time I chose these old fashioned butter scones that are so soft to the bite and flaky as well. The scones were easy and quick to make and are ultimate in taste when eaten slathered with jam.
For this month’s last week of Avant Garde Cookies, Roshni challenged us to cook out recipes from story books. The word immediately reminded me of Enid Blyton. Any kid’s childhood is so incomplete without reading her books.
When I told the theme, Arun was extremely delighted as he loves “The Famous Five” and “Secret Seven” series very much. He started giving out a lengthy list of recipes to try out from the Famous Five’s picnics at the country side.
But these scones screamed for attention as they were so easy. The boys just gobbled them after slathering it with jam. Though it was not pastry dough, it was really flaky and so buttery.
Points to note before baking Eggless Butter Scones Recipe:
1. Old fashioned scones do not have sugar in them. But I added a little as I did not want the kids to complain.
2. You can also use vegetable shortening instead of butter.
3. For a variation you can add dry fruits like raisins and chopped dates, cranberries or tutti frutti.
4. You can also add grated orange or lemon rind for some flavoring and also some chocolate chips if you do not fancy a plain one.
5. If using salted butter, omit the salt in the recipe.
6. You can give an egg wash on top of the scones before baking if you want a golden crust.
Butter scones recipe details below:
Butter Scones Recipe | The Easiest and Best Eggless Scones Ever
- All purpose flour – 1+1/2 cups
- Baking powder – 3 tsp
- Castor sugar – 1/4 cup
- Unsalted butter – 3 to 4 tbsp
- Milk – 1/2 to 3/4 cup
- Salt – 1 pinch
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, castor sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add softened butter to the flour and rub into the flour with your finger tips till it resembles bread crumbs.
- Add 1/2 cup milk first and mix to form a soft dough. Add more milk only if needed. Do not knead.
- On a greased tray, place the dough and pat into an 8” circle of 1 to 1-1/2 inch thickness just like a pizza.
- Make an impression with a blunt knife across the circle so that you can easily take off the scones after baking.
- You can also cut the dough with cookie cutters and transfer to the baking tray if you want to portion control.
- Preheat the oven at 220 C (425 F) and bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the tray and cover with a towel and let it completely cool down.
- If you want the scones to be crisp do not close with the towel.
- Store in an air tight container and serve with jam or clotted cream.