Blue Lagoon Non Alcoholic Drink recipe. Enjoy this Blue Curacao Mocktail or Blue Curacao Lemonade on a hot summer day to feel refreshed and rejuvenated.
I had a chance to sip this exotic looking blue colored Hawaiian mocktail few years ago and I was hooked on to that eye appealing color and the flavor of that drink.
That was the first time I heard of curacao liqueur or syrup and after that I read up on it as I wanted to know more about it.
What is Curacao Syrup?
Curacao syrup is basically an orange flavored syrup made using the peels of Laraha fruit. It happens to be a variant of Valencia Oranges.
Our Favorite Video:
So it is basically like drinking orange juice which is blue in color. This curacao syrup is used to make many exotic looking cocktail and mocktails.
Where does the blue colour come from?
Traditionally butterfly pea flowers was used to color the liquer blue. These flowers are commonly called as Blue Bells in India. It is also called as "Sangu Pushpam" in Tamil.
But now artificial colors are being used to dye the drink. Not only just blue but the curacao syrup is now available in all sorts of colours.
What other flavours are available?
Other than orange tasting curacao syrup, there are several other flavoured syrups are available in the market now-a-days that are used to make different tasting drinks.
I have tried the chocolate flavored curacao syrup and the combination of chocolate, sweet, bitter and pungent was really delicious.
It felt like drinking an orange flavoured cold chocolate drink without the milk.
There are both alcoholic and non alcoholic syrups available and the one that I’m using is a sweetened non alcoholic blue curacao syrup.
Where to buy Curacao Syrup?
This syrup is available in most of the high end departmental stores now-a-days. If you are lucky, chances are there you can also get the other flavoured syrups as well.
I was able to get hold of a bottle recently and we have all gone through most of the bottle already.
- For the given recipe, the sweetness was enough for us. But if you want the drink to be more sweetened, then feel free to add more sugar or honey.
- If you find extracting ginger juice tedious, then muddle mint leaves and ginger together. You can then discard ginger before making the drink.
- You can also replace club soda with either sparkling or plain water.
More drinks to beat the heat
Blue Lagoon Non Alcoholic Mocktail Recipe Card Below:
Blue Lagoon - Blue Curacao Mocktail Recipe
- Blue Curacao Syrup - 1/4 cup
- Lemon Juice - 2 tbsp
- Mint leaves - 10 leaves
- Ginger Juice - 1 tsp
- Club Soda - 3/4 cup
- Lemon rinds - 2
- Ice cubes - to serve
- Crush the mint leaves between your palms. You can also muddle using a pestle.
- In a serving glass, add lemon rinds, crushed mint leaves, lemon juice, blue curacao syrup and ginger juice.
- Fill the glass with ice cubes. Top with club soda and stir with a stirrer.
- Enjoy this ice cold, non alcoholic, Blue Lagoon mocktail drink immediately.