Virgin Pina Colada Recipe. A vegan, lip smacking and refreshing mocktail drink made with pineapple, coconut milk and lots of chilled ice cubes to beat the heat.
Pineapple pina colada is once again made with the same above mentioned ingredients but they are alcoholic as “Rum” is added to make this and served as a Cocktail drink.
This Virgin pina colada is a non alcoholic drink, hence the name which can be equally enjoyed by children as well.
I love pineapple flavor very much. But the biggest downside is to remove the outer prickly skin and sometimes even after all the effort, the pineapple may turn out to be sour in taste.
During my recent trip, I picked up a pineapple from a roadside vendor who was happy enough to remove all the skin, chop the fruit into big chunks. As soon as I reached home, I shoved it in the freezer to use it up later.
I reserved some and made this yummy pineapple kesari for our belated anniversary breakfast and reserved a major portion of it and made this virgin pina colada.
Basically the drink is very thick and creamy in nature because of the coconut cream. But we do not get readymade coconut cream here. So I made coconut milk before hand and rested it in the refrigerator overnight and used the thick cream that floated on top.
Check out these other drink recipes that are apt for summer:
I did not add any sweetener to make this drink. But if you want to use just coconut milk but still want your drink to be creamy and sweet as well, use pineapple or vanilla flavored ice cream to get the desired creamy virgin pina colada.
You can also use tinned pineapple to make the drink and use the syrup in which the pineapple comes packed in to sweeten the drink or use just regular sugar or simple syrup.
As I did not want my drink watered down by the ice cubes, I always freeze the fruit before hand to get a thick and perfectly chilled drink that can be served immediately.
Virgin Pina Colada Recipe details below:
Virgin Pina Colada Recipe
- Pineapple - 1-1/2 cup fresh or frozen
- Coconut milk - 2 cups
- Ice cubes - a handful
- Pineapple wedge - to garnish optional
- Freeze the pineapple chunks.
- Refrigerate the coconut milk for 2-3 hours, so that the coconut cream could separate and float on top.
How to make Virgin Pina Colada:
- Place the frozen pineapple chunks in a blender.
- Gently scoop the coconut cream and add it to the blender. The coconut cream will only amount to 1/2 to 3/4 cup. Reserve the thin coconut milk at the bottom and use it in soups or some other recipe.
- Pulse at regular intervals to crush the pineapple.
- Add ice cubes and blend till frothy.
- Pour into 2 glasses. Stick a pineapple wedge for garnish.
- Serve this chilled virgin pina colada immediately.