Eggless Strawberry Summer Cake recipe using Whole Wheat Flour with step by step pictures.
An eggless cake that is studded with ruby red strawberries that is not only a delight to look at but also tastes so yummy with a fine crumb. I love crumb cakes and this one is just perfect. Using whole wheat flour increased the body and density of the cake manifold.
I came across this recipe for the first time on Pinterest 2 years ago which was from Once upon a chef. Unfortunately last year since my oven was dead I could not bake this yummy cake during the season but this time when I spotted the first pack of strawberries in the market, this was the first recipe that I made.
This eggless strawberry summer cake is also the only cake that I had baked multiple times that I actually lost count in the past 2 to 3 months.
The first time I baked this cake to the T and since I don’t have a 9 inch tart pan, I have used a round pan which did an equally good job.
But after that I converted the recipe to an eggless cake and used whole wheat flour and used a regular 8 inch cake pan and it turned out wonderful. I had baked this cake for my friends and family and every time I keep hearing only appreciations.
I also had to fine tune the baking temperature and time after the first time as the berries sank into the cake. But it still turned out too good with the mushy strawberries in every mouthful. You all do get the picture right. So do give it a try and I’m sure you won’t be disappointed.
This eggless strawberry cake is simple, fuss free and looks beautiful too. You can find below the step by step pictures for the strawberry summer cake that I baked for the first time and also the variations that I made.
Eggless Strawberry Summer Cake with step by step photos:
1. Whisk together whole wheat flour, all purpose flour, salt and baking powder together. Hull and halve the strawberries and keep aside.
2. Beat the butter till smooth. Add sugar and beat till fluffy and pale. If the sugar granules are big, just run it in a mixer to a coarse powder before beating to quicken the process.
3. Add fresh Yogurt, vanilla essence and beat well. Add milk and beat once again.
4. Add the flour mixture and mix to combine. Use a spatula. The batter will be very thick.
5. Grease either a 9 inch or 8 inch cake pan with pan release. Transfer the batter to the pan and smooth the top with a spatula.
6. Arrange the halved strawberries with the cut side facing down. sprinkle 2 tbsp sugar all over the strawberries evenly.
7. Bake in the oven at 200 C for 10 mins followed by 180 C for 1 hour or till a skewer inserted comes out clean.
8. Let cool and eggless strawberry summer cake is ready to serve.
Eggless Strawberry Summer Cake Recipe
- Whole wheat flour – 1 cup
- All purpose flour - 1/2 cup
- Baking powder - 1 1/2 tsp
- Salt - 1/2 tsp
- Butter - 1/2 cup or 1 stick
- Sugar - 1 cup + 2 tbsp
- Fresh Yogurt – 4 tbsp
- Milk - 1/2 cup
- Vanilla extract - 1 tsp
- Strawberries - 200 gms
- Hull and halve the strawberries and keep aside. Grease a 9 inch round pan with Homemade Pan Release and keep it ready.
- Whisk the flours, baking powder and salt together.
- In a mixing bowl beat butter for 1/2 min. Add sugar and beat till fluffy and pale for approx 3 mins.
- Add the yogurt, vanilla extract and beat till well combined.
- Add milk and beat once again.
- Gradually add flour mixture while running the mixer on low speed. The batter will be very thick.
- Transfer the batter to the pan and level the top using a spatula.
- Arrange the strawberries on top with the cut side facing down.
- Sprinkle 2 tbsp sugar on top evenly. This will compensate the tartness of the strawberries and also will give a golden top to the cake.
- Preheat the oven at 200 C / 400 F and bake for 10 mins.
- Then reduce the temperature to 180 C / 350 F and bake for 1 hour or till a skewer inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Take the pan out and let it cool for 10 mins.
- Invert onto a rack and let it come to room temperature.
- Slice and serve as it is or with a scoop of ice cream or whipped cream.
You can skip the whole wheat flour and use all purpose flour itself.